Law School Discussion

LSAT SCORES ARE OUT

sheltron5000

• All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT SCORES ARE OUT
« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2008, 06:57:33 PM »
Take it from someone who knows a few lawyers personally. 

Here he said he knows "a few lawyers"

Hence the reason quite a few lawyers have jumped off of the Empire State Building.

Here he said "quite a few lawyers"

Which one do you take issue with? The latter seems to be a complete set of people (lawyers who jumped off the Empire state building) compared with another complete set (all lawyers). The former is a limited set from his personal experience, it may be the case that all the disgruntled lawyers in the country are the members of the set that he knows personally, and that all other lawyers are, in fact, very happy with their work. :-\

« Reply #141 on: July 08, 2008, 08:28:55 PM »
Take it from someone who knows a few lawyers personally. 

Here he said he knows "a few lawyers"

Hence the reason quite a few lawyers have jumped off of the Empire State Building.

Here he said "quite a few lawyers"

Which one do you take issue with? The latter seems to be a complete set of people (lawyers who jumped off the Empire state building) compared with another complete set (all lawyers). The former is a limited set from his personal experience, it may be the case that all the disgruntled lawyers in the country are the members of the set that he knows personally, and that all other lawyers are, in fact, very happy with their work. :-\

See what I mean?  Imagine having to think like this or deal with people who think like this for the rest of your life.  My opinion shouldn't be taken lightly simply because my sample set is seemingly small.  When I say I a "few" lawyers, by the way, I mean about several hundred or so, whom I have observed working and not working.  I have worked alongside them, and I have chatted with them in parties.  Still may be a small sample set, but that doesn't mean it's not true.  Most people tend to consider claims critically instead of disproving or not considering them simply due to seemingly inadequate sample size.

The few lawyers I know personally are working in a top 20 firm and have very good salaries.  Making a lot of money, however, does not necessarily correlate with happiness, especially when you're more or less forced to spend 99% of your life doing tedious work that the majority of people tend not to find fun.

« Reply #142 on: July 08, 2008, 08:37:20 PM »

« Reply #143 on: July 08, 2008, 08:55:28 PM »
I liked the older posters, but this new cycle is absurd.  You're all overachievers.  We were so relaxed in comparison to you guys.

Exactly.  Their life is dependent on getting into HYS and having sex with their professors to get As.  What a bunch of geeks.

« Reply #144 on: July 08, 2008, 09:07:31 PM »
I liked the older posters, but this new cycle is absurd.  You're all overachievers.  We were so relaxed in comparison to you guys.

Aw...now that's not very nice. 

I've been lurking on-and-off since last September, so I'm not as much of a newbie as I appear.  I remember a lot of your old posts.   You and Jeffort had some great exchanges in this sub-forum - I was sorry to see that a lot of them were deleted. 

BTW, didn't you have a GPA above 4.0?   Who are you calling an overachiever, overachiever?  ;D   

Anyway, if I'm an overachiever, I'm incredibly ineffective.  I found out today from LSDAS that a 3.71 puts me at the 66th percentile of my undergrad's LS applicants.  Talk about grade inflation!  >:(

« Reply #145 on: July 08, 2008, 10:11:57 PM »
Has LSAC already processed your transcript?  If so: on your LSAC account, go to My Docs->Transcripts.  Click the Academic Summary Report.  There should be a listing for "Cum. GPA %ile Rank" partway down the page.

I'm not actually that surprised; I knew that the cutoff for cum laude (top 30%) was 3.75, so I just missed that.  If we assume that the group applying to LS is slightly better than the average graduate from my school (which is reasonable, since the very lowest GPAs are often athletes who go straight into banking), the percentile rank is about right.  It's just daunting to see it on paper.   :(   

New Haven isn't so much scary as it is...kind of boring after awhile.  But I'm a lifelong city girl, so my standards for "scary" may differ from yours.

I've only been to Boston a couple of times.  It seemed nice enough.  I like any place where I don't have to learn to drive.