Law School Discussion

JDUnderground: the result of an information bubble?

JDUnderground: the result of an information bubble?
« on: June 25, 2008, 02:08:47 PM »
So there's lots and lots of sob stories about lawyers who are crushed by debt and are miserable.

here are possible reasons that it may be overstated.

1. Lawyers are on a whole more eloquent than other professions. So an unhappy engineer won't broadcast his sob story over the net, he'll just drink

2. Many refuse to leave the big city. All of the sob stories I've heard are from lawyers in NYC and DC. Not many from say, Minnesota

3. immaturity. the cliche is that too many liberal arts kids go into law. From college, my experience was that the engineer kids knew what they wanted to do in life, the business/finance kids to a lessor extent, and the liberal arts kids were more wishy-washy. One of my friends who was an electrical engineer in college and is now at a T3 law school says that his engineering UG was by far more difficult than law school

thoughts on this? It is true that it's too easy to dig yourself into a big debt hole, but if you are astute in your planning things may not be as bad as they're made out to be.

Re: JDUnderground: the result of an information bubble?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 04:54:47 PM »
bump, after going xoxo for the past few months, it's surprising how much ppl on here are...becoming like xoxo.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 05:05:17 PM »
So there's lots and lots of sob stories about lawyers who are crushed by debt and are miserable.

here are possible reasons that it may be overstated.

1. Lawyers are on a whole more eloquent than other professions. So an unhappy engineer won't broadcast his sob story over the net, he'll just drink

2. Many refuse to leave the big city. All of the sob stories I've heard are from lawyers in NYC and DC. Not many from say, Minnesota

3. immaturity. the cliche is that too many liberal arts kids go into law. From college, my experience was that the engineer kids knew what they wanted to do in life, the business/finance kids to a lessor extent, and the liberal arts kids were more wishy-washy. One of my friends who was an electrical engineer in college and is now at a T3 law school says that his engineering UG was by far more difficult than law school

thoughts on this? It is true that it's too easy to dig yourself into a big debt hole, but if you are astute in your planning things may not be as bad as they're made out to be.

Maybe the reason they spend so much time bitching about their jobs is because they spend their time on webforums instead of doing work and are compensated accordingly.

vap

• Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 08:24:13 PM »
My favorite JDU posters are the ones who chose generic T1 or T2 schools for $150K debt and now complain about how all the T3 and T4 graduates are devaluing their degrees.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 10:07:49 PM »
I'd say that lots also justify 40k/yr tuition at Brooklyn/Cardozo Law based on the 22% reporting salary info on the school websites.

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 11:53:34 PM »
http://www.time.com/time/2007/america_numbers/job.html not entirely helpful, but always interesting nonetheless.