Law School Discussion

My take on the first year of law school

Re: My take on the first year of law school
« Reply #160 on: June 28, 2008, 12:07:29 PM »
Jesus Christ, Wally, WTF is up with you today?  That was needlessly aggressive. 

When I said that I don't totally disagree, I mean to say that there ARE learnable, improvable skills that are factors in law school performance, and that the particular things you pointed out are certainly plausible reasons why someone might not do well.  I DON'T think, however, that they are the only things that might "make or break" a student.

As for the "tree falls in the forest" comment, let me ask you this (and in a non-confrontational way, lest you freak out at me again) -- what kind of test would measure intellectual creativity?  Or do you not think that that actually exists?  I personally am not much of an empiricist (as if I needed to tell you that . . . or maybe I did).

Your UG is hardly representative.  Judging by the anecdotes I've heard about it, it's a prison for liberal art students.

What the hell does this even mean?  Representative of . . . yeah, I also don't know why you're lashing out at my UG, but I can tell you that the criteria you're describing certainly wouldn't fly in any graduate program in the liberal arts, either.

I think the analogy was more "pointless" than "aggressive" (unless you were specifically referring to the jab at your UG).

It's not representative of what it would take to excel at a school.  At your LAC, you would probably need a pint of genius mixed with a quart of workhorse.  That's not true at most state schools.

I'm aggressive cuz you guys are freaking me out.  Okay?  Just calm the [email protected]#@ down, people.  It's only school.

At my state school, at least, genius is usually enough to trump workhorses. I think this is because of the great disparities in intelligence of state school students - I've met some really dumb at my UG, but I've also met some that I would consider genius. I imagine in law school that the gap between most intelligent and least intelligent will drastically lessen.

The Artist

• Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 28, 2008, 12:16:44 PM »
Let me clarify what I was trying to say earlier.

Texas guy is a feminine hygiene product because he said that his success was due to his innate ability. The fact that he SAID it and then spent multiple paragraphs explaining this bolsters this 'TX-feminine hygiene product' conclusion.

However, I do believe natural ability plays some role in your final grades.

I don't, however, think it is one of the top factors in deciding your grade. And I can say that as an 0L and know I'm right because it's been like that since day 1 of elementary school.

Think back to high school. You know those kids who would get high/drunk in the bathrooms, party every weekend, never do schoolwork, etc? The ones that ended up in either CC or Burger King after graduation? Think back and see if in hindsight any of them were actually pretty smart, but just never applied themselves. I know one guy who ended up dropping out due to his 1.0 HS GPA. He took the SAT cold, just for fun, without studying, and got about a 1400. COLD. With studying he could've gotten damn close to a perfect score. So surely he would have had a top GPA if he wasn't stoned all the time. Every HS (and even college) has/had people like that.

The fact is, not every naturally smart person applies themselves to the point where they can overtake others academically, even if it would require less effort on their part to do so. So what does matter? Working smart AND hard, keeping your eyes on the prize, etc (pretty much what the OP said).

« Reply #162 on: June 28, 2008, 12:17:58 PM »
I'm saying that we need to remember how lucky we are to be in this situation.  Read a book about Vietnam.  Spend a day with a homeless man.  Watch Oprah.

This is school, people.  Anyone who's neurotic about it or terrified by it needs to grow up.  I'm sick and tired of melodramatic accounts of an enormous debt load and bleak employment prospects.  Just chill and everything will be fine.

Here's an idea: work hard, make friends, and be able to look yourself in the mirror at the end of the semester and say, "Dammit.  I tried.  And that's all there is to it."  If there's anything more you can do, I would love to hear it.

llol

vjm

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 28, 2008, 12:18:22 PM »
I'm saying that we need to remember how lucky we are to be in this situation.  Read a book about Vietnam.  Spend a day with a homeless man.  Watch Oprah.

This is school, people.  Anyone who's neurotic about it or terrified by it needs to grow up.  I'm sick and tired of melodramatic accounts of an enormous debt load and bleak employment prospects.  Just chill and everything will be fine.

Here's an idea: work hard, make friends, and be able to look yourself in the mirror at the end of the semester and say, "Dammit.  I tried.  And that's all there is to it."  If there's anything more you can do, I would love to hear it.

Well said. I'll be quoting this back to you. :)

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 28, 2008, 12:26:28 PM »
It's not representative of what it would take to excel at a school.  At your LAC, you would probably need a pint of genius mixed with a quart of workhorse.  That's not true at most state schools.

I'm aggressive cuz you guys are freaking me out.  Okay?  Just calm the [email protected]#@ down, people.  It's only school.

Well, maybe this is what it takes to be at the top of the class in law school as well?  Although you might be overstating the case about my UG (god, I had 3.8+ semesters when I got drunk every night, and I'm no genius).  I just think that what makes a good essay, or law school exam, isn't big words and number of citations.  Those things can bolster a paper full of poorly developed ideas, and they can make a well-conceived paper stellar, but on their own, they don't do much.

Eh, who the @#!* knows.  I think that some people's performance on both ends is just unexplainable.

And I'M not freaked out.  You're the one who's both doing pre-prep and getting all your job materials lined up months before school even starts  :P

« Reply #165 on: June 28, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
Ugh, this thread has really gone to *&^%.

« Reply #166 on: June 28, 2008, 12:36:01 PM »

But Christ, Wally, we are not robots, and our brains are not computers.

Speak for yourself, Ramone.

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 28, 2008, 12:38:25 PM »
Ugh, this thread has really gone to poo.

Eh, there's only so much advice to be given before you just start going around in circles.

ETA: And what did I do  ???

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 28, 2008, 01:03:24 PM »

You do realize that you have been the antithesis of these ideas since as far back as I can remember?  You're cognizant of this and your post was wall-itical satire?

vjm

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 28, 2008, 01:35:39 PM »

This is school, people.  Anyone who's neurotic about it or terrified by it needs to grow up.

At least this part holds true.