Law School Discussion

My take on the first year of law school

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
Re: My take on the first year of law school
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2008, 09:52:23 AM »
That's pretty funny. I guess that's why USC has gone to a system where professors can either provide closed book or completely open book (notes, books, commercial outlines, etc. all allowed). My con law prof tried to give us a "only class books" test, but the administration stopped her.

However, for some reason they seem not to want us to use our computers even on open book tests.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2008, 10:05:08 AM »
That's pretty funny. I guess that's why USC has gone to a system where professors can either provide closed book or completely open book (notes, books, commercial outlines, etc. all allowed). My con law prof tried to give us a "only class books" test, but the administration stopped her.

However, for some reason they seem not to want us to use our computers even on open book tests.

I like our system, because I'm sure some of our professors would have given close book exams if they couldn't control what was brought in.  You have 4 classes as a 1L.  Is it really that hard to find out what the professor allows?

iscoredawaitlist

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2008, 01:23:52 PM »
hmm maybe. But I only had one true closed book exam (I had two where we had a closed book multiple choice section before we had an open book essay section). Personally, I kind of like closed book exams.

« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2008, 01:52:54 PM »
hmm maybe. But I only had one true closed book exam (I had two where we had a closed book multiple choice section before we had an open book essay section). Personally, I kind of like closed book exams.

how dare you speak such blasphemy...

Pearl

• I AM THE LAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2008, 02:39:45 PM »
Honestly, there were a few exams this year where I didn't open the book or my outline once.

« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2008, 09:22:35 PM »
I am sick and tired of mystifying accounts of how top students climbed to LR on the back of sea turtles.

;D

I'd love a link to that blog--I'm trying (and failing) to find some decent 1L blogs.

And I'm glad to see that Texas guy still has "it" even with all the extraneous "simply put" and "to be quite frank" and "allow me to say this" nonsense.
Useless words!

Perhaps next time I'll conform my message board post to a more appropriate legal style. Would you prefer Bluebook or ALWD for my citations?

« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2008, 12:25:19 AM »
Texasguy wrote well, even though he used phrases that would drive Bryan Garner bonkers. I nonetheless question one of his assertions.

I realize there are some gifted students who are wired to succeed in the law school exam system. Yet I still believe a portion of this "innate" ability, or set of abilities, can be learned and subsequently applied by most students.

Can this "honing" ever be as refined as the ablest of students? Perhaps not. And yet efficient and judicious refinement of the abilities and strategies should still lead to an improvement.

I find it odd that someone can possess an intangible quality and yet identify that intangible quality as the reason for success in a particular endeavor. Furthermore, I find it questionable to assume that this quality is exclusively innate. We might admit that certain individuals are for some reason born with sharper faculties in mathematics, linguistics, and so on. But does this prevent another person, one without such innate qualities, from substantially improving his or her mathematics or linguistics?

I'm not convinced that intangible, innate qualities predetermine every student's success in law school; many people can identify and mimic successful strategies, and I think it brash and conveniently demoralizing to conclude otherwise without providing proof.

iscoredawaitlist

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2008, 01:20:15 AM »
Well, I think it's a pretty heavy mix of both. There are plenty of people who struggle despite trying very hard. But at the same time, my own personal experience is that you can change things drastically.

I don't know that I believe in some sort of on/off switch for "getting" law school. But it certainly comes more naturally to some than others.

« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2008, 02:20:23 AM »
That rings true, though I think something should be said for not merely working hard, but working smart. One of my personal fears for 1L is investing time and effort unwisely.

« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2008, 02:23:53 AM »
tag, and I'll probably come back to discuss this in the morning.