Law School Discussion

Vandy No Money or Washington and Lee Full Ride?

Re: Vandy No Money or Washington and Lee Full Ride?
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 04:10:52 PM »
I faced basically the same decision last year - I took W&L and the money.  I don't really regret it, Biglaw employers might go an extra 10 or 15% deep into the Vandy class, so there is probably a little bit more pressure to get decent grades at W&L.  However, in my opinion, that pressure was easily balanced (and more) by the knowledge that I would graduate with minimal debt and would be able to pay off any loans even without a Biglaw paycheck.  I still want to do Biglaw - but it sure will be nice to pay off my loans in a year and be able to use that salary for fun things as opposed to paying off debt.

If you like the rural environment and small school feel, I don't think you could go wrong by passing up the money and going to W&L.  Though if you prefer Nashville (great time), I don't think it is a big mistake to choose Vandy.  All in all, the flexibility you will have coming out of W&L with no debt is a great great option, and has really helped me enjoy law school more than I would have with mounds of debt.

vap

• Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 05:30:55 PM »
W&L.

Sergio

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 09:04:08 AM »
Isn't Biglaw placement something like 60% at Vandy vs. maybe 25-30% at W&L?

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 12:10:09 PM »
Isn't Biglaw placement something like 60% at Vandy vs. maybe 25-30% at W&L?

more like 40% placement

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1207904889529

Sergio

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
I keep hearing 60-70% of Vandy gets Biglaw.  Maybe this includes firms not in the NLJ250.

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 07:25:59 AM »
The spreadsheet I had posted expired on the site, but here's a new one.

http://dl006.filefactory.com/dl/f/3a094b//b/0/h/e8a20c57c83e627a463cfa3b/

A note about this file. It's missing about 20 graduates, at least 19 of which were employed, but apparently they could not be reached. This could presumably hurt the percentages a bit, though it could also help I suppose.

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 08:49:17 AM »
What'd you decide OP?

I have the same decision with UCLA.

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 02:11:47 PM »
I haven't decided yet. I need to, though. The problem is, I keep leaning one way and then change my mind and go the other. I am afraid I will regret my decision no matter what I choose. What would you do?

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 08:47:34 PM »
Looks like I'll have to be the heretic in this discussion ("heretic" because W&L is one of the LSD "darlings")...

I visited W&L as an admitted student (w/a scholarship offer) and was very unimpressed with the school:  the facilities and surrounding area were mediocre, the prof teaching the mock class was unbearable, the clinics were limited in scope and uninteresting, and the 3L curriculum change was not promising ("horrendous" probably describes it better).  I chose my in-state LS (lower ranked, less scholarship $$ offered) because it's hands-down a much better school than W&L (I trust my own judgment first and foremost, given USNWR's obvious East Coast bias).  Vandy is practically a T14 school, with commensurate employment opportunities and prestige.  If I were you, I'd pick Vandy without hesitation.