Law School Discussion

U Penn or Northwestern?

Re: U Penn or Northwestern?
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 01:01:55 PM »
You're right, EarlCat. It's not even on offer this fall--but people who start in fall 2009 would finish with us. I know they interviewed employers who said they don't care, but I can't imagine this being a "positive" for employers. Or for the students who do it, actually. Or for Northwestern's reputation. It just seems like a bad idea all around.

Northwestern's 2 year JD is in response to requests by employers for just such a program.  This article has a pretty comprehensive analysis of the program and how the Dean arrived at the decision to offer it.  http://www.elsblog.org/the_empirical_legal_studi/2008/06/nwu-laws-2-year.html

And while I'm biased because I go to NU, I did choose NU over Penn, after getting off the waitlist unexpectedly at Penn.  I love NU because of the people and I really can't imagine a better group of people with which to go to school.  At the end of the day I think the schools are pretty similar in terms of quality,so you should pick wherever you feel most comfortable.       

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 04:24:39 PM »
Hi WeeSqueak,

The article you linked to, along with the other ones I've read, seems to indicate that while Northwestern's program was reviewed by employers it wasn't actually requested by them (although the article does say that generally employers would like lawyers to graduate with more business-savvy, which this program does offer...but so too would a JD/MBA option or even just simple course selection). Even though obviously some employers are theoretically okay with the idea of a 2 year JD I'm not sure that they would be equally okay when confronted with the reality of it. And I wish we knew how many employers responded positively and where they fell along the employment spectrum...I imagine they are mostly, if not all, private firms. What might judges think? The federal government? Etc.

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
I decided to stay with Penn. I'm vacillating between being happy with my decision and having a huge case of buyer's remorse. Did anybody else feel this way when they made their decision? I hope it's not a sign I made the wrong decision...

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 08:40:29 PM »
I decided to stay with Penn. I'm vacillating between being happy with my decision and having a huge case of buyer's remorse. Did anybody else feel this way when they made their decision? I hope it's not a sign I made the wrong decision...

i was deciding between penn and columbia, and definitely felt a bit sad that i wouldn't be attending penn, but i knew columbia was the right decision for me.  it really came down to "where will i have the least regrets?" as opposed to "where will i be happiest?" since I knew I'd be happy at both places.

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 08:55:48 PM »
That's a good way to think about it -- very helpful, thanks!