Law School Discussion

Prep 50 LR QUESTIONS (Section 2-13, 19)

YBC15

Prep 50 LR QUESTIONS (Section 2-13, 19)
« on: June 09, 2008, 09:32:21 PM »
13. Fossil-fuel producers say that it would be prohibitively expensive to reduce levels of carbon dioxide emmitted by the use of fossil fuels enough to halt global warming. This clainm is probably false.  Several years ago, the chemical industry said that finding an economical alternative to the chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) destroying the ozone layer would be impossible. Yet once the industry was forced, by international agreements, to find substitutes for CFCs, it manages to phase them out completely well before the mandated deadline, in many cases at a profit.

Which one of the follwoing, if true, most strengthens the argument?

(D)There are ways of reducing carbon dioxide emissions that could halt global warming without hurting profits of fossil-fuel producers significantly more than phasing out CFCs hurt those of the chemical industry.

My question is "without hurting profits of fossil-fuel producers significantly more than..." in (D) means there could be financial loss even though we know this would not be PROHIBITIVELY EXPENSIVE. Can anyone explain why (D) is a correct answer?   

19. Dietitian: It is true that nutrients are most effective when provided by natural foods rather than artificial eupplements.  While it is also true that  fat in one's diet is generally unhealthy, eating raw carrots (which are rich in beta carotene) by themselves not an effective means of obtainging vitamin A, since the body cannot transform beta carotene into vitamin A unless it is consumed with at least some fat.

The statement that fat in one's diet is generally unhealthy plays which one of the following roles in the dietitian's argument?

(A) It is mentioned as a reason for adopting a dietry practice that the dietitian provides a reason for not carrying to the extreme.

(A) is a correct answer.  I would like to know what "a dietry practice" and "the extreme" in (A) refer to.  Does "a dietry practice" refer to "eating raw carrots with some fat"?  Does "the extreme" refer to "not eating fat at all"?

meggo

• View Profile
Re: Prep 50 LR QUESTION (Section 2-13)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 09:41:38 PM »
Alright, I'll have a crack at it. Anyway, my reasoning with this question, is that it says chemical companies were able to remove CFC before the mandated deadline USUALLY (of course not always) at a profit. This means, if you don't hurt the profits significantly more than chemical companies, well they usually MAKE a profit on removing CFC's, so fossil fuel companies would probably not make money, but they probably wouldn't lose it. Anyway, this might not be the correct reasoning but it's how I arrived at the answer.

Re: Prep 50 LR QUESTIONS (Section 2-13, 19)
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 10:37:45 PM »
What is the question stem to #19? 

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 11:14:22 PM »
Okay, the companies are saying that they can't produce in a way to halt global warming without resorting to prohibitively expensive methods.  The argument is saying that this is false.

D, just as you noted yourself, implies that there is a way to produce and halt global warming that could result in losses, but not prohibitive losses.  So if this is true, this strengthens the argument that the producer's claim of halting global warming without experiencing prohibitive losses is false. 

The stem of the 2nd question is:  The statement that fat in one's diet is generally unhealthy plays which one of the following roles in the dietitian's argument?

Here, the "extreme" being referred to in answer A is eating lots and lots of fat.  The "dietary practice" is eating fats with carrots.

Basically, answer A is saying the dietitian mentioned this because, although the dietitian is telling you you're going to have to eat some fat in order to transform certain vitamins, this is not something that you want to take to the extreme since fat is generally unhealthy for you.

YBC15

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 07:37:20 AM »
the "extreme" being referred to in answer A is eating lots and lots of fat.

I still do not understand how "the extreme" could be "eating lots and lots of fat."

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 10:51:55 AM »
the "extreme" being referred to in answer A is eating lots and lots of fat.

I still do not understand how "the extreme" could be "eating lots and lots of fat."

Okay, why not?  If your doctor says, "Well, you need to eat some fats with your foods" and you take this to the extreme to the point where you are eating fats with *all* your foods, then wouldn't you be eating lots and lots of fat?

bgc

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 05:52:02 PM »
Hi there, I'm new. I just took this test today and had an issue with the same LR question. I got the question right by eliminating everything else as less reasonable but I still don't like it.

A)It is mentioned as a reason for adopting a dietary practice that the dietician provides a reason for not carrying to the extreme.

The statement that "fat in one's diet is generally unhealthy" makes no sense as a reason for adopting a practice. It is a reason for not carrying the practice of eating fat to the extreme.

The reason for adopting the practice is the fact that the body needs fat to properly absorb Beta Carotene.

It would make more sense if the word "as" were inserted before "a reason."

What am I missing?

Regarding the other question, remember that it is a strengthen question. The answer does not need to completely justify the conclusion. I actually picked B as an answer for the reason you cite but, upon review, see that it's out of the scope of the question.

meggo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 07:29:04 PM »
I can see what you're saying but as you yourself acknowledged about the other question, it's the best answer choice. Yes the nutritionist is advising to eat fat but saying 'of course it's unhealthy to eat a lot of fat' is acknowledging that one should not carry it to the extreme. But this is a caveat, what I mean is, by saying the sentence at all she is acknowledging one could/should do it, just not in copious amounts.

bgc

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 07:58:10 PM »
Thanks for responding, meggo.

All that you say is true but it still doesn't address the fact that the answer choice implies that "fat is bad" is given as a reason to adopt a dietary practice.

The other question was a strengthen q, which allows much more variety. This is pretty specific and I don't see how the answer, as stated, is correct.

This is the only LR question that I have had trouble with in the entire history of PTs when going over things. I recognize the possibility that I'm missing a word somewhere but it's not coming to me.

I'll look at it again tomorrow, I suppose.

grape

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 08:15:51 PM »
Thanks for responding, meggo.

All that you say is true but it still doesn't address the fact that the answer choice implies that "fat is bad" is given as a reason to adopt a dietary practice.

The other question was a strengthen q, which allows much more variety. This is pretty specific and I don't see how the answer, as stated, is correct.

This is the only LR question that I have had trouble with in the entire history of PTs when going over things. I recognize the possibility that I'm missing a word somewhere but it's not coming to me.

I'll look at it again tomorrow, I suppose.

The "dietary practice" that answer choice A is referring to is the practice of not eating fats.  The dietitian says to not take this to the extreme, which would be to NEVER eat fats.  Why?  Because you need fats to transform beta carotene to vitamin A.

I have to admit that this was a rough question and that I got it wrong, but upon review I see why the CR is A.