Law School Discussion

HELP!!!! Good schools vs Free school

Re: HELP!!!! Good schools vs Free school
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2008, 03:30:22 PM »
At my school the scholarship students were spread out evenly by tier of scholarship across each section.

So there was one of the top scholarship kids per section, two of the next level per section, and then another amount of the partial-ride kids per section.  You should check with both the school and the scholarship kids from past years.

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2008, 04:37:36 PM »
I can say with confidence that Miami bunches the scholarship recipients.  I just managed to transfer out.  I never would have said a word otherwise. Even so...OP, take the money at Loyola or pay in-state at hastings.  You can always transfer if you do well.  If you don't do well you can always walk away or push on knowing the $60k is your $60k.

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2008, 06:53:35 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what happens if someone has a scholarship to a lower tier school but transfers to another law school? Are scholarships generally unconditional in the sense that the student owes nothing for the first year if he/she decides to transfer?

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2008, 07:17:37 PM »
yeah, i don't think they can rescind your scholarship and apply back tuition if you transfer, unless you sign some non-unconscionable fine print.

baileypicks24

• You have food, a roof, and security. Shut up.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2008, 08:34:51 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what happens if someone has a scholarship to a lower tier school but transfers to another law school? Are scholarships generally unconditional in the sense that the student owes nothing for the first year if he/she decides to transfer?

That sounds so evil. Haha! But anyways, the fine print from the scholarship I was offered said you can transfer and you won't owe anything back or anything like that for the time you were there. But it's a good thing to ask.

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2008, 08:44:57 PM »
yeah, i don't think they can rescind your scholarship and apply back tuition if you transfer, unless you sign some non-unconscionable fine print.

As far as I can tell you're exactly wrong.

I've seen several schools where if you transfer up, the scholarship reverts into a loan.

Think about it objectively....  If you transfer out and have to pay that past year's tuition as a loan, then you wind up paying "sticker price" for your better ranked J.D.   That makes sense and is fair. 

If you don't graduate from the school giving you a scholarhip, they don't really benefit much.  Sure you help their admission numbers, but you hurt their attrition numbers.  And attrition numbers hurt more than admission number help.  Attrition numbers fuel both transfer ideas, and "curve" rumors.  It's a fair bargain that if you take the money you graduate from a school.

If a school lets you transfer out without reverting the scholarship, that would be an amazing windfall if you were "overqualified" for a specific school.  Free year of school?  Man, sign me up!

baileypicks24

• You have food, a roof, and security. Shut up.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2008, 08:53:52 PM »

As far as I can tell you're exactly wrong.

I've seen several schools where if you transfer up, the scholarship reverts into a loan.

Think about it objectively....  If you transfer out and have to pay that past year's tuition as a loan, then you wind up paying "sticker price" for your better ranked J.D.   That makes sense and is fair. 

If you don't graduate from the school giving you a scholarhip, they don't really benefit much.  Sure you help their admission numbers, but you hurt their attrition numbers.  And attrition numbers hurt more than admission number help.  Attrition numbers fuel both transfer ideas, and "curve" rumors.  It's a fair bargain that if you take the money you graduate from a school.

If a school lets you transfer out without reverting the scholarship, that would be an amazing windfall if you were "overqualified" for a specific school.  Free year of school?  Man, sign me up!

Wow...well then, you should DEFINITELY find out the details for sure before you commit. Like I said, my scholly made clear I could transfer without having to owe anything back. I guess other schools don't work like that. Wow, pretty interesting stuff.