Law School Discussion

how all you right-wing assholes feeling these days?

Re: how all you right-wing assholes feeling these days?
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2008, 01:49:43 PM »
Well, I stand for much of the same things that you do, yet somehow more and more we are considered to be right-wing radicals....the country's youth is going to the far left, and it's scary to think what's going to happen in 20 years...

what's that I see in my magic ball.....? ANOTHER DUMB ASS JIMMY CARTER ON THE HORIZON! Looks like people will never learn from history. Those of you who think we should follow Kennedy's horrible strategies of diplomacy I suggest you read this article in the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/22/opinion/22thrall.html?_r=2&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Kennedy's "handling" of the Bay of Pigs was not exceptional in the least bit. It is not a lesson in diplomacy, since his naive ways put us there in the first place. When are liberals going to lay off the Kool-Aid and crack open the history books?

Is it my fault that the republicans screwed up ALL of those things?  Bill Clinton was probably more conservative in relation to those 7 points than Bush is.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Bill Clinton raised capital gains' taxes at historic levels along with all other forms of taxing. Bush's tax cuts were truly conservative ideas. The only problem was that he didn't reel in any kind of spending or federal government power.

cup

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2008, 01:55:11 PM »
I am with Jack on this one.  It is not good to jump on the two party bandwagon if no party is getting it done.  I feel like I am only choosing which illusion to accept as reason for the advancement of the police state, threat from environment or threat from terrorist.  Fear does no illicit rational behavior in most.

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2008, 02:00:15 PM »
Fear does no illicit rational behavior in most.

Are we referring to the fear-mongering that Obama accuses the GOP and McCain of? Because, I find Obama to use fear-mongering techniques himself when he warns us of the dangers of the GOP and McCain when he says how bad our lives will be unless we vote for him. What is that? Fear-mongering or a warning? Seems like it's a fine line to me. Whenever Obama does it, he considers it a warning. When McCain does it, it's fear-mongering.

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself." I say to Obama quit your BS lofty ideas that have nothing to do with helping us get out of Iraq, better the economy, or make us safer.

cup

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2008, 02:14:07 PM »
I hate to Obama bash, you just fuel the fanaticism of his flock.  I think he is a good guy, but I have not heard much in the way of what he is going to do.  I imagine it will be more of the same, hand in my pocket.  I look foward to substantial coverage of policy plans when the general campaigning starts.  I am sure I will be disappointed.  What is his plan for primary education?  The schools suck bad.

Martin Prince, Jr.

• Excelsior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2008, 02:29:21 PM »
I am with Jack on this one.  It is not good to jump on the two party bandwagon if no party is getting it done.  I feel like I am only choosing which illusion to accept as reason for the advancement of the police state, threat from environment or threat from terrorist.  Fear does no illicit rational behavior in most.

The solution to your problem (the "two party bandwagon") is for you to move to a country with proportional representation at the ballot box, like you'll find in many European democracies. Barring that, you can convince 50 state legislatures to vote against their interests and award seats in Congress proportionally. You tell me which is more likely.

Is it my fault that the republicans screwed up ALL of those things?  Bill Clinton was probably more conservative in relation to those 7 points than Bush is.
And if you care about social issues such as Abortion and Gay Marriage then it's probably good to remember that the President can't do much about those.

Go ahead and disagree about the 2nd ammendment, taxes, education, ANWR, and trade, but please stop considering the republicans as true representatives of conservative ideals.

The mechanism available in the US to avoid rewarding bad behavior is to vote the offending party out of office until they have learned their lessons. Rewarding the Republicans by giving them the White House for another four years strikes me as pretty daft, in light of what they have done with the last eight. Looking at polling data, it appears most Americans agree.

jack24

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2008, 02:48:04 PM »
[quote author=Martin Prince, Jr. link=topic=4010742.msg5106831#msg5106831
The mechanism available in the US to avoid rewarding bad behavior is to vote the offending party out of office until they have learned their lessons. Rewarding the Republicans by giving them the White House for another four years strikes me as pretty daft, in light of what they have done with the last eight. Looking at polling data, it appears most Americans agree.
[/quote]

I'm going to vote for president based on those 7 things I listed..  and if I can't decide, then I'll vote for whichever person I think will do a better job when faced with a major crisis. 

Martin Prince, Jr.

• Excelsior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2008, 03:23:44 PM »
[quote author=Martin Prince, Jr. link=topic=4010742.msg5106831#msg5106831

I'm going to vote for president based on those 7 things I listed..  and if I can't decide, then I'll vote for whichever person I think will do a better job when faced with a major crisis. 

[/quote]

Shrug. If I had the energy I'd point out and list the ways in which Bush and the Republican Party have failed on all the (slightly scattershot, but hey, they're your reasons, not mine) points you say your vote will be based on, but I'm in a pretty bad mood so I'lll spare you and just reiterate: rewarding their failures helps ensure their repitition. Keep that in mind in November.

jack24

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2008, 03:50:50 PM »
I'm not voting Republican or Democrat.  I think McCain is a good man, but I'm likely going to vote 3rd party. 
I'll probably vote for Bob Barr. 

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2008, 05:21:13 PM »
Shrug. If I had the energy I'd point out and list the ways in which Bush and the Republican Party have failed on all the (slightly scattershot, but hey, they're your reasons, not mine) points you say your vote will be based on, but I'm in a pretty bad mood so I'lll spare you and just reiterate: rewarding their failures helps ensure their repitition. Keep that in mind in November.

McCain isn't Bush. The Republican Party is a group with many different factions. To flat out dismiss McCain because of the last 8 years is not fair. I can understand wanting to vote out the Republicans from Congress, but the Presidency is a whole different story. McCain is his own man, and he has never truly had a good relationship with Bush. For liberals that say McCain is a 3rd Bush term, they have got to be joking. The only reason why McCain made it through the GOP nomination was due to some crazy circumstances in New Hampshire (Guiliani not campaigning), South Carolina (Fred Thompson staying in to take away Huckabee's evangelical vote), and Florida (Charlie Crist nomination). The truth of the matter is that a lot of Republicans hate John McCain, and the only reason why elected officials are so eager to support him is because they now realize he is the only person that can help save their jobs.

I'm not voting Republican or Democrat.  I think McCain is a good man, but I'm likely going to vote 3rd party.

Might as well throw your vote away. A vote that isn't for McCain is a vote that puts Obama one more step towards the White House.

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »

Jack wrote:

Might as well throw your vote away. A vote that isn't for McCain is a vote that puts Obama one more step towards the White House.

Not correct.  Jack's vote only matters in a handful of states.  If he lives in a solid blue or solid red state, his vote contributes nothing to the selection of the president.  Unless, of course, a significant portion of his state's voters also choose to vote third party - then, it appears Jack has contributed to the growth of a multi-party system, which seems to be a worthy goal, and not consistent with "throwing one's vote away".

Don't worry too much - I'll be balancing Jack's non-McCain vote with one for the Green candidate (unless it's Nader, and then I'll write in Gore.)