Law School Discussion

Question: Drug use in Professional School???

Re: Question: Drug use in Professional School???
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 12:07:27 PM »
This website sucks.

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 12:08:36 PM »
Do you think it is cool for Attorneys to drink occasionally? Same thing, get high.

lol interesting, good stuff.  But I hope that you are sarcastically comparing drinking to getting high.

Drinking is far worse for you than smoking pot, both in terms of danger to your health and in terms of potential brain damage.

Also, your username is JusBlaze . . . just sayin'.

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 12:10:42 PM »
Do you think it is cool for Attorneys to drink occasionally? Same thing, get high.

lol interesting, good stuff.  But I hope that you are sarcastically comparing drinking to getting high.

Drinking is far worse for you than smoking pot, both in terms of danger to your health and in terms of potential brain damage.

Smoking pot turns people into ambition-less zombies; its the gateway drug.  Alcohol just lets good folks blow off some steam...

And the federal government agrees.

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 12:15:36 PM »

lol interesting, good stuff.  But I hope that you are sarcastically comparing drinking to getting high.

While I agree that heavy alcohol use possesses severe deleterious effects, I think people understand the effects of smoking pot.  There's a high correlation between pot use and being worthless ('high correlation', get it? ;D ).  I acknowledge that there's a cause and effect problem (lots of people use drugs due to professional and personal difficulties opposed to vice versa).  However, i know very few functional pot heads enjoying high levels of success.

Everything in moderation is the credited response.

(and for the record I've never smoked pot before I'm friends with a few pot-heads and its not pretty).

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 12:38:26 PM »
So-called "anti-motivational syndrome" and the "gateway drug" theory are at best stereotypes that are borne out anecdotally, and at worst, myths that were entirely created by anti-drug legislatures/activists as scare tactics.  And whatever correlation there is between marijuana and either of these phenomena seem to be a distinctly American problem.  Most studies on either have been inconclusive, but there are a number that refute both ideas.  For example, a few studies were done on heavy marijuana smokers in Jamaica and Greece, where marijuana use is prevalent and doesn't carry a social stigma, that found no evidence of the existence of "anti-motivational syndrome". 

Holland also experienced a significant drop in hard drug use after they decriminalized pot, and the drop actually was spread out by age (that is, it was a sharper decrease in hard drug use among younger people who had never experienced marijuana criminalization), which suggests that the "gateway drug" theory has more to do with marijuana users having to expose themselves to black markets where other, more dangerous drugs were available, rather than because something inherent in marijuana incites a desire to do crack or something.

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 12:46:36 PM »
So-called "anti-motivational syndrome" and the "gateway drug" theory are at best stereotypes that are borne out anecdotally, and at worst, myths that were entirely created by anti-drug legislatures/activists as scare tactics.  And whatever correlation there is between marijuana and either of these phenomena seem to be a distinctly American problem.  Most studies on either have been inconclusive, but there are a number that refute both ideas.  For example, a few studies were done on heavy marijuana smokers in Jamaica and Greece, where marijuana use is prevalent and doesn't carry a social stigma, that found no evidence of the existence of "anti-motivational syndrome". 

Holland also experienced a significant drop in hard drug use after they decriminalized pot, and the drop actually was spread out by age (that is, it was a sharper decrease in hard drug use among younger people who had never experienced marijuana criminalization), which suggests that the "gateway drug" theory has more to do with marijuana users having to expose themselves to black markets where other, more dangerous drugs were available, rather than because something inherent in marijuana incites a desire to do crack or something.

I really didn't think you'd bite b/c I thought my sarcasm was apparent.

That being said...I think you're kidding yourself if you think smoking pot regularly is a good idea.

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 12:52:46 PM »
F-ing cornbread rules.

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 12:56:07 PM »

I'm going with SCK, pot definitely ain't the worst thing in the world and locking up those convicted of simple position is silly... But I've anecdotally seen way too many people derailed through drug use.  That being said, a lot of people can handle it.  A lot of people can also handle alcohol.  Others cannot - its not a universally harmless substance like water or cornbread.

Yeah, but the problem is that alcohol is definitively linked to many, many more health problems than marijuana, while people believe that the opposite is true.

It really bothers me.

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 01:01:40 PM »
Well, I think that would be stupid, too.  But I think it should all be legalized.