Law School Discussion

UVa ($) v. GULC- seriously

ss.

UVa ($) v. GULC- seriously
« on: April 27, 2008, 02:04:44 PM »
As many of you already know and tease me relentlessly about... I am having trouble making this decision. UVa sounds absolutely awesome, but I am a big city girl, and I just don't know if I could do three years in Charlottesville. I haven't had the chance to visit either. I know that's a big no-no, but I'm hoping hearing from others will give me more insight and make me feel more confident about my decision...

Please help?

vjm

• View Profile
Re: UVa ($) v. GULC- seriously
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 02:16:05 PM »
DC is so close to Charlottesville that it is very easy to run up there for the weekend or a day. Could you handle C'ville if you got outta Dodge periodically?

Hate to see you pass up UVA.

Although I should probably promote GULC since I am on the UVA waitlist  ;).

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 02:19:26 PM »
As many of you already know and tease me relentlessly about... I am having trouble making this decision. UVa sounds absolutely awesome, but I am a big city girl, and I just don't know if I could do three years in Charlottesville. I haven't had the chance to visit either. I know that's a big no-no, but I'm hoping hearing from others will give me more insight and make me feel more confident about my decision...

Please help?

i know someone who had to make this choice last year and he chose GULC.  he just going fathom living in cville for 3 years. 

i don't know what to tell you though.  for me, the surroundings, ease of getting around, finding a diversity of things to do matters a lot to me.  but you seem so pro uva, so maybe you should just go there.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 02:22:19 PM »
Ok I'm very much a big city guy but 1) GULC is in a crappy, crappy neighborhood far away from the main Georgetown campus. Now, before the DC people flame me about this, I will fully acknowledge the building itself is very nice, and there are nice areas around it, but still, not the best location.
2) Charlottesville is a great college town, as far as they go. I visited when deciding undergrads, so it has been a while, but I really liked the area. It was the only non-urban school I applied to, just based on the fact that it seemed like such a great town. People were friendly, it seemed like there were actually things to do.
3) more money at a higher ranked school? If it's not on mars I would think it's a no brainer.

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 02:39:29 PM »
Can't you get Georgetown to offer you something?

I personally would go to GULC.  I just cannot imagine living in Charlottesville.

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 02:42:18 PM »
wait, how much did UVa give you versus GULC?  Did you try to get GULC to up your offer?

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 03:26:47 PM »
What GPA do you need for biglaw at Georgetown?

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 03:33:08 PM »
I've lived in both places. Charlottesville is an awesome place, but it is certainly not urban.  I also think the prestige difference is pretty small, so if you want to live in a city, my vote would be Georgetown. 

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 03:33:23 PM »
Subtle boyfriend trolling ;)

People who say Charlottesville is a crappy city  were all losers in college.  Hope that helps...

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 07:06:43 PM »
What GPA do you need for biglaw at Georgetown?

Around top 40% for V100, Top 65% to 75% for biglaw in general (as defined by any firm over 100 Attys). I'm guessing UVA has about a 10% cushion under that.