Law School Discussion

UVA ($) vs. UPenn - have a week to decide

UVA ($) vs. UPenn - have a week to decide
« on: April 24, 2008, 08:04:01 AM »
How important is the idea of "ivy league" prestige? Many people (outside of the legal field) have mentioned that if I ever stopped practicing law, Penn's institutional "brand name" would carry more weight in business, government, or other fields, in contrast to UVA, because generally people outside of law wouldn't know that UVA was a great law school (and they would instead be making a decision on the comparatively low institutional prestige). How important is this idea of an ivy league law school? I am getting $15K/yr from UVA but I can't convince myself that it is worth giving up that money for an ivy league name, unless long term it makes a difference if my career path changes (since turnover in the legal field is so high!). UVA undergraduate is ranked 23rd vs. UPenn at #5, which probably also explains why most people outside of law don't know that UVA has a highly ranked law school. I just don't want UVA to be lumped in with UNC and other state schools.

The cultures are different, and I could fit in anywhere. I probably prefer Penn's culture more, but I'm not thrilled about Philadelphia, the safety issues, and the higher cost of living. Their tuition is pretty steep too- at $44,330- about $2K higher than other peer schools and pretty significant without any money from them. Over three years I would probably save about $50K (factoring in COL) if I went to UVA over Penn, but I don't know how significant that amount is in the grand scheme of things. I'm not a big partier but I can see myself being happy at UVA too, but I'm Asian and I worry about the treatment of minorities at the school (I have heard different things).

I want to work in D.C. or NYC doing trade law or immigration law.

Re: UVA ($) vs. UPenn - have a week to decide
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 08:05:41 AM »
You should definitely go to Penn.  15 grand isn't really anything, and Penn is much more prestigious.

ETA: Also, you'd probably fit in a lot better there.  I guess I should mention that that is actually the reason for my post.

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 08:36:18 AM »
You should definitely go to Penn.  15 grand isn't really anything, and Penn is much more prestigious.

ETA: Also, you'd probably fit in a lot better there.  I guess I should mention that that is actually the reason for my post.

actually it would be 45grand...which is definitely something to think about.  plus, uva is cheaper to begin with and their COL is low.

OP, how do you feel about Cville?  And did you tell Penn about UVa's offer?

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 09:06:41 AM »
I like Charlottesville, and I might even enjoy living there more than Philadelphia. For some reason, Philadelphia struck me the wrong way. It felt like a city in decline- cold and gray and pretty uninviting. It might have just been the time I was visiting though. I did tell Penn about UVA's offer but they wouldn't match it. I suppose if they had matched it I would probably want to go to Penn, but $45K is a lot of money for me and academically speaking and career wise, the schools are pretty equal. I just didn't know if long-term it matters where anyone went to school, and more about what kind of law you did and how well you did it, even if you end up pursuing a career outside of law.

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 09:08:24 AM »
seems like you would prefer Uva.

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 09:10:20 AM »
I like Charlottesville, and I might even enjoy living there more than Philadelphia. For some reason, Philadelphia struck me the wrong way. It felt like a city in decline- cold and gray and pretty uninviting. It might have just been the time I was visiting though. I did tell Penn about UVA's offer but they wouldn't match it. I suppose if they had matched it I would probably want to go to Penn, but $45K is a lot of money for me and academically speaking and career wise, the schools are pretty equal. I just didn't know if long-term it matters where anyone went to school, and more about what kind of law you did and how well you did it, even if you end up pursuing a career outside of law.

I would go to Penn if I were you.  Think about 50k in the course of a lifetime... it is completely negligible and you will have the "Penn" name with you for the rest of your life.  Absolutely go to Penn. hth.

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 09:14:08 AM »

I would go to Penn if I were you.  Think about 50k in the course of a lifetime... it is completely negligible and you will have the "Penn" name with you for the rest of your life.  Absolutely go to Penn. hth.

why should he go to Penn if theres a good chance that he wouldn't enjoy his surroundings?

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 09:18:14 AM »
Do NOT go to Penn.  You don't want to be there if/when JoePa keels over on the sidelines.  This will be a very solemn time which will result in a gloomy atmosphere.

HTH

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 09:20:09 AM »

why should he go to Penn if theres a good chance that he wouldn't enjoy his surroundings?

he said theres a chance he wouldn't like uva either due to his ethnic bacground.  if any of that is true, he will have a MUCH worse time in c-ville than in philly

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 09:23:54 AM »
How important is the idea of "ivy league" prestige? Many people (outside of the legal field) have mentioned that if I ever stopped practicing law, Penn's institutional "brand name" would carry more weight in business, government, or other fields, in contrast to UVA, because generally people outside of law wouldn't know that UVA was a great law school (and they would instead be making a decision on the comparatively low institutional prestige).

I really don't think this is true.  By the time you get to the point that you stop practicing law, your resume is going to be more important than your school name.  IMO, I wouldn't make this a big factor in my decision.