Law School Discussion

does EVERYBODY have over a 170?

does EVERYBODY have over a 170?
« on: June 18, 2004, 08:34:51 AM »
According to LSAC, less than 2% of test takers will have a 170.  Somewhere around 6% will score over a 165.

I would think, however, looking at the incredibly high scores of the contributors to this site, that someone who scored a 170 would be on the low end, and someone who only scored a 165 would be crowned King feminine hygiene product in a special LSAT ceremony.

What gives?
- You are all EXTREMELY smart and only smart people post on this site and I should shut the hell up and go back to coloring in my book.
- You are all liars.

gooooooo

• 3.67, OCT. 2
    • View Profile
Re: does EVERYBODY have over a 170?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 08:37:33 AM »
We are both aka smart liars.

dsong02

• small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 08:39:16 AM »
you have a coloring book too? 

btw, im still working on that ps.

nathanielmark

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 08:39:26 AM »
i have wondered this myself.  i think the reality is that you find a higher concentration of obsessive types who do very well on these types of tests in messageboards like this (and places like LSN).  i dont think it is a reasonable representation of most test takers.

another factor is that people are more likely to report scores if they are higher.  a lot of people may retreat into the background and not disclose their scores because of feelings of inferioritity or whatever else.  i know this is the case because i was almost embarassed to tell people i had scored a 165 back in 98... pretty silly, but yeah, i felt a little inferior about it all with the way people score around here.

__

• Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 08:45:39 AM »
hey I got a 161 in '02.  I just look at it this way, it gives me a better shot at beating the spread.  And getting Schools to look at my higher one.

i have wondered this myself.  i think the reality is that you find a higher concentration of obsessive types who do very well on these types of tests in messageboards like this (and places like LSN).  i dont think it is a reasonable representation of most test takers.

another factor is that people are more likely to report scores if they are higher.  a lot of people may retreat into the background and not disclose their scores because of feelings of inferioritity or whatever else.  i know this is the case because i was almost embarassed to tell people i had scored a 165 back in 98... pretty silly, but yeah, i felt a little inferior about it all with the way people score around here.

gooooooo

• 3.67, OCT. 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 08:45:57 AM »
You scored a 165 in 1998?  You make me sick.

jgruber

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 08:46:21 AM »
Some of us have over 180

nathanielmark

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 08:46:48 AM »
Thalky, I just lost all respect for you, LOL.

hey I got a 161 in '02.  I just look at it this way, it gives me a better shot at beating the spread.  And getting Schools to look at my higher one.

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 08:47:22 AM »
I know what you mean- I need to stay off these boards because they are giving me emotional problems haha- I thought I scored well on the LSAT and I was quite proud of myself until I got on here and especially on xoxohth.  Now all of a sudden, I feel pretty stupid around all these smart people.  I need to go back to my yahoo group where all the third tier people are. 

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 08:52:32 AM »
I definitely think that it'd be inaccurate to take this board as a sample of lsat takers.  I think, since the ones that have done so well post all the time about everything lsat related, that we're just obsessed with doing well on the damn thing, and that makes us more likely to put in hour after hour of study time.  Which, in turns, makes us more likely to be the ones to score a 170+.  (not that I have yet, and I doubt that I will, but let me tell ya, it's not for lack of trying!)