Law School Discussion

Has Bush lost it?

jgruber

Re: Has Bush lost it?
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2004, 10:58:27 AM »
Didn't read it.  They want too much information to register.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/nation/8941624.htm?1c

cmon jimmy, you can do it...

GOP now has ads out using the memory of Ronald Reagan to bash Kerry... of all the insensitive, politically virulent things to do ...

It's not surprising.  And did you wonder why there were hours and hours and hours of TV time to cover the ceremonies surrounding Reagan?  If a Democratic ex-president had died instead, do you think that it would have been so grand and well covered by the media?

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2004, 11:07:10 AM »
The quote by RR, Jr. was in the media - just not very out front in the media.  There have also been things in the media that the Regans are upset with RR being used in politcal commercials.  Latest I read was that the group that was doing the commercial is not going to air it for at least a week.  There have also been rumors that Bush may have to distance himself from the Regan image he is going after because of the problems the families have over stem cell research.

nathanielmark

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2004, 11:41:31 AM »

I saw this on Hardball last night, but yeah, you dont hear hardly anything about it do you?  I think i may have read it somewhere else, but it was buried in another story.

Why did no one in the media point out the line in Ron Reagan Jr's speach at his father's funeral?  My jaw dropped when he said this:

"Dad was also a deeply unabashedly religious man but never made the fatal mistake of so many politicians, wearing his faith on his sleeve to gain political advantage.

True after he was shot and nearly killed early in his presidency he came to believe god had spared him in order that he might do good but he accepted that as a responsibility not a mandate and there is a profound difference."

MindTheGap76

• UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2004, 05:35:34 AM »
If you want to read what Ron Regan Jr. has to say about Bush, check here:

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2003/04/14/ron_reagan/

RR Jr. is kind of a male private part:

"Sure, he wasn't a technocrat like Clinton. But my father was a man -- that's the difference between him and Bush. To paraphrase Jack Palance, my father crapped bigger ones than George Bush."

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2004, 06:22:40 AM »
OH.  Now I get it.  Now that you remind me, I remember thinking about it.  I mentioned to my wife that things must be going badly for Bush if RR Jr. -- a conservative radio dude -- is taking shots at Bush.

Wait a minute, guys.  Ron Reagan Jr. is NOT conservative.  He's a liberal, and has hated Bush since he was elected.

And needless to say, despite his hatred for Bush, it was completely inappropriate to be taking political shots like that at his FATHER'S FUNERAL!  Does this man have any soul? 

President Reagan was always a little bit embarrassed of Ron Jr. - I'm glad he didn't see this.

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2004, 06:27:31 AM »
It's not surprising.  And did you wonder why there were hours and hours and hours of TV time to cover the ceremonies surrounding Reagan?  If a Democratic ex-president had died instead, do you think that it would have been so grand and well covered by the media?

Come on, Jeff.  Yes, the media is just salivating over the opportunity to glorify a conservative Republican president.  LOL.

Not too many Presidents have died in my lifetime, but I would assume that any President would be given a grand funeral.  Public opinion is a different story though - I'm sure that we won't see the same outpouring of grief when Ford or Carter dies, but that has nothing to do with party affiliation.  Reagan was one of the most popular presidents of the 20th century - he won 49 states in 1984! 

grahamers

• Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2004, 06:39:58 AM »
Wait a minute, guys.  Ron Reagan Jr. is NOT conservative.  He's a liberal, and has hated Bush since he was elected.

As do 51% of Americans.  This is pretty much a given since he probably wouldn't have siad what he said if he *liked* Bush.

And needless to say, despite his hatred for Bush, it was completely inappropriate to be taking political shots like that at his FATHER'S FUNERAL!  Does this man have any soul? 

I disagree.  I thought it was as well done as ANY political funeral speach I have heard.  It glorifies his father while sending a subtle but well constructed message.  Recall the ferocity of Princess Diana's funeral?  This was how things SHOULD have been done then.  (Not that I blame her brother...she was really f*ed over by most of the royals!)

jgruber

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2004, 06:54:40 AM »
I do not think it is just a coincidence that Reagan got a grand send off and their is a Republican in the White House.

That's all I'm saying.

jgruber

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2004, 06:57:50 AM »
I've heard RR Jr.  He is a conservative to me.  You call him a liberal.  OK we disagree, but I doubt we could agree on definitions of conservative or liberal.  If it helps any, I am not a conservate, liberal or even a centrist by anyone's definition.

Are you one of those who think that the governer of California is a liberal even though he is a Republican?

President Reagan was always a little bit embarrassed of Ron Jr. - I'm glad he didn't see this.