Law School Discussion

June 14 - LR Question - Help

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: June 14 - LR Question - Help
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2004, 12:05:53 PM »
Louder, how would you know if it was a paradox question?  You didn't take the exam.  And it wasn't a resolve the paradox by the way, so your answer is completely worthless here.  Thanks anyway!

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2004, 12:08:30 PM »
Louder, how would you know if it was a paradox question?  You didn't take the exam.  And it wasn't a resolve the paradox by the way, so your answer is completely worthless here.  Thanks anyway!

You're a pumpkin-head. I based my response on the original post, which made reference to 'resolving a discrepancy'. Notice I prefaced my response with "...however, I did not take this exam."

female dog.

nathanielmark

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2004, 12:09:00 PM »

This is wrong.  Go read Thalkys post, it is the most accurate description of the argument.  the gyst of it was that  govt should regulate smoking but not make it illegal.

and i do believe the question was which principal would apply.

the comparison to fatty foods was used to support the possition that govt should not ban smoking.

the answer basically said govt should deter things like smoking but allow them to remain legal...

thanks for the responses...

as i remember it, i didnt like any of the answer choices, but i guessed d, regulate v. ban.

robbief, sorry i don't remember the exact wording.  My problem with the answer you put - addiction - was that it didn't resolve the arg.  The conclusion was, we SHOULDN'T ban smoking advertisements.  So, there was no need to differentiate between fatty foods and smoking.  The fact that smoking is harmful AND we aren't banning it had to be resolved.  Like I said, I was thoroughly unimpressed with the answer choices, but regulate v. ban seems like the only one that came close to doing that.

I think your reasoning is incorrect - however, I did not take this exam...

The question is a paradox questions. The paradox, or mystery, is, "How come ads for one harmful product (fatty foods) are lawful while ads for another harmful product (cigarettes) are not?". The answer MUST solve the mystery, so to speak - that is, it must answer the 'why?' question.

It is my guess that the correct answer choice contained information that differentiated smoking and/or its harmful effects from eating fatty foods and the effects of eating fatty foods (i.e., smoking is physically addictive AND we should ban ads for physically addictive substances, etc.)

lexylit

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2004, 12:10:13 PM »
DEFINITELY a principle qustion, i remember. what principle does this reasoning conform to (or to what principle does this reasoning conform, so as not to dangle my preposition)

jg049457

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2004, 12:10:19 PM »
Actually, "Louder than Bombs" had the question correct. 115% positive!!

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2004, 12:10:20 PM »
BTW, listing the mean, median, and high/low score for your PRACTICE tests is so f-ing lame. Are you going to put those on your resume as well?

M2

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2004, 12:13:42 PM »
BTW, listing the mean, median, and high/low score for your PRACTICE tests is so f-ing lame. Are you going to put those on your resume as well?

::)

Bruner

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2004, 12:14:11 PM »
By the way...it WAS NOT a principle question.  It definately wanted you to solve the discrepancies between the two.  Why are both legal and why do people want to ban smoking.

__

• Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2004, 12:15:08 PM »
Ok dude,
let up, no need for personal attacks.  Let's just keep this what it was discussing the test, so we have something to do for the next 3 weeks.

PS. thanks for your answer, and the caveat about what type of question, but I'm pretty sure I made my descision on the fact that it was a principle question.  So I'm gonna stick with thinking I'm right.  It's not gonna hurt anyone, 'till I get my scores that is.

robbief

• Right?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2004, 12:17:17 PM »
While I would like to believe jg bc she agrees with my answer, I have a question for him/her. 

How are you SO sure.  I was that sure too, but I'm being convinced otherwise with every post.  Like it's cool if you know know know know that the answer's correct because you asked some infinite being who assured you, but I'm just trying to figure out who to believe: you or them.  If you have some way of knowing 100% just say so.  Tell me to rest assured and not be so depressed about this test.  Are you THAT sure?