Law School Discussion

Laptop Comparison (Dell 600m v 700m)

Re: Laptop Comparison (Dell 600m v 700m)
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2005, 08:47:38 AM »
I'm glad that I read this. I was all but sold on the 600m. Well, I don't have a lot of $$ to spend, but there's a lot I need from my computer. That's why I feel like despite the notable flaws of the Dell corporation, I might have to get one anyway. I was basically looking for a 14"+ display, 1.5 GHz processor, 512MB- 1Gig RAM, 40 Gigs+, CD/DVD RW, 3 or 4 year idiot proof warranty, and 3 years of virus protection. I need something that will last me through all 3 years of law school, but am really trying to pay no more than $1400 (& I want to get a couple extras: carrying case, wireless mouse, etc). & it needs to be portable enough to carrying to class & whatnot (but, keep in mind I'm a 220 lb guy, so it doesnt have to be the weight of a pen for it to be portable).

So, if there are complaints about the 600m, but I don't want the miniature 700m, then what should I go with? From what I've seen, the 6000 looks considerably more expensive. Also, I've never owned a laptop before. The 9lb 6000 sounds like it might be a lot (even for me) with all of my books & stuff that I will be carrying around. I was also looking at the 1200 in a magazine. I haven't seen anyone mention it. The upgraded version w/ the 15" screen looks affordable & pretty hooked up. But, I'm not much of a computer expert, so I don't know the difference between types of wireless cards or other features. I'm at a crossroads. PLEASE HELP!

I think you should go with the Inspiron 6000.  That 9 pound weight includes the battery.  All of the advertised weights you see for other laptops do NOT include the battery, which adds an extra 1.5-3.0 pounds.  So for comparison purposes, you should consider that the Inspiron weighs 7.0-7.5 pounds.  Also, you can get everything you need and MORE in an Inspiron 6000 for less than $1000 now. 

Ambs

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2005, 09:02:20 AM »
My Inspiron 6000 was about $1300 and I got the 512 RAM, 60Gb, mouse, extended battery, extended warranty, Windows XP Professional, etc. You could totally do a scaled back version of mine for around $1000.

« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2005, 09:20:04 AM »
My Inspiron 6000 was about $1300 and I got the 512 RAM, 60Gb, mouse, extended battery, extended warranty, Windows XP Professional, etc. You could totally do a scaled back version of mine for around $1000.

Did you receive it yet? How's the weight?

Ambs

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2005, 09:26:35 AM »
Not yet... just ordered it last Friday. Should be here next week. I'm anxious to play with it!

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2005, 12:06:01 PM »
What about the Dell 1200? Anyone have that or is it a POS?

bruin

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2005, 08:31:45 PM »
I happened to find a Dell kiosk tonight, took a look some of the inspirons.

The 6000 seems to be a well put together machine. A little big for my preferences, but for the cost, not bad at all.

The 700m is an intriguing computer. It is a little on the small side, the keyboard is slightly smaller than normal. But it really grows on you. And it feels sturdy, probably due in part to it's thickness, which really isn't too bad. Since my IBM purchase has been put on hold a few weeks, if Dell releases another $750 off coupon soon, I could be tempted.
*If you are getting the 700m, go for the extended battery. It really doesn't add much to the size, I barely noticed it on the display model.

The 600m however, feels like the biggest POS laptop I have ever seen. Seriously, an Avertec feels like an IBM Thinkpad in comparison. Echoing Glascow's post, the 600m's case is extremely flimsy. The LCD distorts severely when opening/closing the screen, the palmrest flexes when typing. It felt like one drop and it would break apart.

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2005, 08:03:41 AM »
I'm glad that I read this. I was all but sold on the 600m. Well, I don't have a lot of $$ to spend, but there's a lot I need from my computer. That's why I feel like despite the notable flaws of the Dell corporation, I might have to get one anyway. I was basically looking for a 14"+ display, 1.5 GHz processor, 512MB- 1Gig RAM, 40 Gigs+, CD/DVD RW, 3 or 4 year idiot proof warranty, and 3 years of virus protection. I need something that will last me through all 3 years of law school, but am really trying to pay no more than $1400 (& I want to get a couple extras: carrying case, wireless mouse, etc). & it needs to be portable enough to carrying to class & whatnot (but, keep in mind I'm a 220 lb guy, so it doesnt have to be the weight of a pen for it to be portable).

So, if there are complaints about the 600m, but I don't want the miniature 700m, then what should I go with? From what I've seen, the 6000 looks considerably more expensive. Also, I've never owned a laptop before. The 9lb 6000 sounds like it might be a lot (even for me) with all of my books & stuff that I will be carrying around. I was also looking at the 1200 in a magazine. I haven't seen anyone mention it. The upgraded version w/ the 15" screen looks affordable & pretty hooked up. But, I'm not much of a computer expert, so I don't know the difference between types of wireless cards or other features. I'm at a crossroads. PLEASE HELP!

I've spoken on this topic before, but I'll reiterate my experience with the 600m over the past year:  It's my work computer, gets lugged home every day, around the office, traveling, etc.  I use it constantly.  I have not had one problem with it since day 1.  It's a great machine, and a good balance of weight and size.  Get the upgraded screen so you can get 1400 x 1050 and you won't ever think you need anything bigger.

Additionally, Dell service has always been awesome for me and my company.  Quick shipping, tech to install parts on-site if necessary, etc.  I've heard stories about every brand that has broken at one time or another, Dell, IBM, Gateway, Compaq, etc. etc.  I have not had experience with their service outside of my business account.

The 600m has a flimsy cover - what people say about the palmrest and screen flex is absolutely true.  It bothered me when I first got it but I'm used to it, and more importantly it's never been a problem for me.  I've bumped, dropped, and set things on top and have had no problems.

That being said, I'd like to get another inspiron for school, but I won't because I'd like a 13 or 14" widescreen.  The 700's keys are very small - you'll get used to it, but it'll be tough to switch back and forth if you have a home PC or need to use a school computer.  Nice screen, great size, crappy extended battery (sticks out the back and makes it the size of a 13 or 14").

Any recent Compaq experience for anyone?  I love their 13" widescreen case - it looks great and is the size I want.  I didn't have good experience with Compaq laptops in the late 90's, and I wonder if they're different.

My $.02.

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2005, 02:59:14 PM »
If you're having good luck with your 600m, glad to hear it. I know of a few folks like you, but I also know of others like myself who are not having the same issue.

Dell support did get the thing turned around quickly the last time I sent it in but they were a pain to work with. One group would be telling me that they'd check w/the techs and get back to me w/shipping info, whereas another group would be saying that DHL had been at my place to return the machine and no one was there. (Fortunately for me, the DHL people had the right info, and I was able to get the thing at the depot.) However, my goal with a computer company is to NEVER have to figure out if the service is good or not by never having to use it.

I'd consider getting a Dell 700m. After a year of lugging casebooks/printouts/etc., a few extra pounds and a few extra inches of bulk do make a difference to me.

« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2005, 05:23:31 AM »
However, my goal with a computer company is to NEVER have to figure out if the service is good or not by never having to use it.

That's a great goal, but a little experience will tell you that whether or not you reach that goal won't be determined by the manufacturer you choose.

« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2005, 11:28:03 PM »
That's a great goal, but a little experience will tell you that whether or not you reach that goal won't be determined by the manufacturer you choose.
I don't fully agree with this statement. A little experience (which you seem to be implying I don't have -- interesting for someone who doesn't know me at all) with a few different vendors helps one to understand that there are differences between products from different vendors, and between product lines from the same vendors. If I were to do this over again, I'd most likely have done things differently, based on my little experience.