Law School Discussion

Laptop Comparison (Dell 600m v 700m)

Re: Laptop Comparison (Dell 600m v 700m)
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2005, 01:27:20 PM »
Oh crap, that's a lot. You got the extended battery? That's going to suck a little carrying all that weight around... but still its nice to have a full-size laptop since it is my primary computer. Doesn't dell have a return policy in the first month? Maybe if its too much I'll return it.

It doesn't really seem that bad to me.  I carried it around for a week when I was apartment hunting in Chicago earlier this month.  It was certainly noticable by the end of the day, but at no point did I feel like it was too much weight to carry.  I'm not worried at all about carrying it back and forth between home and school.  Yes, I have the extended battery ("9-cell" I believe). 

Ambs

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2005, 02:04:01 PM »
I got the 9-cell as well. Considering I'll mostly just be carrying it on the bus and btwn class and the library, I think I can handle it. Still, would be nice to have a small and light one for class, IF I had a larger one to go home to. I just think 12 inches (the 700m) is too small for a primary computer - perfect for travel, though.

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2005, 02:30:34 PM »
I got the 9-cell as well. Considering I'll mostly just be carrying it on the bus and btwn class and the library, I think I can handle it. Still, would be nice to have a small and light one for class, IF I had a larger one to go home to. I just think 12 inches (the 700m) is too small for a primary computer - perfect for travel, though.

I really don't think you'll mind the Inspiron 6000 at all.  I have travelled with it extensively in the past 4 months.  I used it on the plane, in my car, hotel rooms, as my desktop replacement at home, in the NU library, etc.  I think it will work fine in class, and I have no regrets whatsoever about purchasing it.  It really is the perfect size for me. 

I would definitely recommend that you carry it in a backpack though.

Tony Brooks1

• none
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2005, 02:34:14 PM »
does anyone knkow much about the dell latitude?

it has the pointer tracker thingy on the keyboard which is an important feature for me but i havent heard much mention of this dell model

anyone have any thoughts on it?

bruin

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2005, 03:15:55 PM »
The Latitude has been discussed on other threads here. Basically, it was designed as a business machine, so all the parts are standardized and interchangible. Said to be stronger than equivelant Inspirons, more secure due to the needs of business users.

Tony Brooks1

• none
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2005, 04:53:42 PM »
so how come more peeps arent buying it?

bruin

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2005, 05:14:27 PM »
Costs more than the Inspirons, and you can't use coupons for them.

For the cost of an Inspiron, you can nearly get the comparable Thinkpad.

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2005, 07:58:29 PM »
I have a 600m, bought in April of last year. It's already been back to Dell 1x to have bits of guts replaced, mostly having to do with the internal network card going out. I have a wireless card, so it's not an issue, but I'd say for the most part, the internal wireless is again shot. (Today it appears like it might be working, but that's the exception, not the rule). I also have problems with the buttons like power-on, volume control, and mute. I think there's just a general issue with the things that connect at the rear of the machine.

I'd consider the 700m. I know people who have them. It appears more sturdy and, after a year, smaller is better.

While I can't really afford to be without right now due to summer school, I'm trying to figure out a time that I can again send this back to Dell to get (another) guts replacement.

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2005, 08:13:15 AM »
I have a 600m, bought in April of last year. It's already been back to Dell 1x to have bits of guts replaced, mostly having to do with the internal network card going out. I have a wireless card, so it's not an issue, but I'd say for the most part, the internal wireless is again shot. (Today it appears like it might be working, but that's the exception, not the rule). I also have problems with the buttons like power-on, volume control, and mute. I think there's just a general issue with the things that connect at the rear of the machine.

I'd consider the 700m. I know people who have them. It appears more sturdy and, after a year, smaller is better.

While I can't really afford to be without right now due to summer school, I'm trying to figure out a time that I can again send this back to Dell to get (another) guts replacement.

I'm glad that I read this. I was all but sold on the 600m. Well, I don't have a lot of $$ to spend, but there's a lot I need from my computer. That's why I feel like despite the notable flaws of the Dell corporation, I might have to get one anyway. I was basically looking for a 14"+ display, 1.5 GHz processor, 512MB- 1Gig RAM, 40 Gigs+, CD/DVD RW, 3 or 4 year idiot proof warranty, and 3 years of virus protection. I need something that will last me through all 3 years of law school, but am really trying to pay no more than $1400 (& I want to get a couple extras: carrying case, wireless mouse, etc). & it needs to be portable enough to carrying to class & whatnot (but, keep in mind I'm a 220 lb guy, so it doesnt have to be the weight of a pen for it to be portable).

So, if there are complaints about the 600m, but I don't want the miniature 700m, then what should I go with? From what I've seen, the 6000 looks considerably more expensive. Also, I've never owned a laptop before. The 9lb 6000 sounds like it might be a lot (even for me) with all of my books & stuff that I will be carrying around. I was also looking at the 1200 in a magazine. I haven't seen anyone mention it. The upgraded version w/ the 15" screen looks affordable & pretty hooked up. But, I'm not much of a computer expert, so I don't know the difference between types of wireless cards or other features. I'm at a crossroads. PLEASE HELP!

link0

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2005, 08:35:14 AM »
IBM T42 is the solid all-round machine.