Law School Discussion

Laptop Comparison (Dell 600m v 700m)

bruin

• View Profile
Re: Laptop Comparison (Dell 600m v 700m)
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2005, 01:39:58 AM »
dell x1 > 700m

What's the "x1"?

STILL, I'm worried about the small keyboard and 12' screen.  Anyone have a 12" screen and flat-out NOT like it?  I'm not worried about gaming, just the basics.

Good luck to everyone in your pursuits.

Scott

X1 is the Dell Latitude X1. It is another 12" widescreen, part of the Latitude business line. It is much thinner and lighter than the 700m, and sturdier from reports I have seen. However, it does not have an internal optical drive, as with the IBM X40. This may or may not be a big deal, as you are not likely to need a cd/dvd drive in class, and there is a significant weight savings.

I have a 12" Apple iBook, used it for over 2 years. I have had no problems with the screen size. However, I wouldn't use one for Law School, without a larger external monitor at home. With the time you will spend using your laptop, having a larger screen available is a good thing.

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2005, 05:17:48 AM »
Just a note for the 600 v 700 debate - I currently work on a 600m which I really like (note - get the upgraded screen with the native 1400x1050 resolution), however I was hoping to get a widescreen for LS as I think the screen real estate is much more usable and I really want a smaller laptop.  I was really interested in the 700m for school, however I just received one at work, and after working on it for a few hours, I would say if you think you're worried about the keyboard size, don't get it.  It is a much smaller keyboard than the 600m.  The screen is great and plenty big, but I will opt for a 13.3 or 14.1 widescreen with a normal size keyboard.

one more thing - the extended battery is big and annoying because it sticks out over 1" across the length of the back of the PC.

Any other questions let me know - I am looking at both of them sitting on my desk right now and would be happy to answer any questions, take pictures, etc.

Unfortunately, Dell's choices of 12" widescreen and 15.4" widescreen is not enough, and I'll be looking for a manufacturer with a 13.3 or 14.1 widescreen - right now it's between sony and compaq (i thought i'd never say that...)

link0

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2005, 07:24:40 AM »
The newer 700m is studier than the aging 600m design, but still far below IBM standards. If you take care of your notebook very well, you can save a lot of money going with a cheap dell over the IBM.

Dells make crappy computers, but at least the 600m and 700m are less tha 1/2 the price of an IBM with the same features.

The only reason I got a 700m is because I got it new 1.6ghz, 512mb, 40gig, DVD/CDR, extended battery, all together for $750. I also only use it as a secondary computer for taking notes in class. Main computer is a desktop.

Desmo: "Burgh, The 600m has the dedicated ATI Radeon 900 AGP card (64MB max)  In addition, it has the intergrated Centrino setup w/ the Pentium M.  The M is an option on the 6000, but you can bump the 6000 up to 128MB on the graphics card."

You do know that the graphics card memory size doesn't mean crap right? Unless you have the Geforce 6800go in your dell 6000, it won't be able to play any games anyway.

desmo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2005, 09:27:43 AM »
Just noting the differences.  If you're worried about playing games on your laptop while in law school that's an entirely different issue.

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2005, 10:36:35 AM »

Hey Melinda, I'm planning on getting a T43 in the next couple of weeks, wondering how you like yours so far? And how were you able to get the reduced price from sales? Thanks..

Bruin, I just purchased my T43 so now I have to wait 2 weeks, which is a bummer because I am so anxious to see it.  I got a 10% educational discount on everything.  I did A LOT of research and decided it was worth the extra money for me.  Let me know if you have any more specific questions.  the "Best Laptop for Law School" thread has a lot of info about thinkpads.  You should probably buy yours soon if you want any modifications it may take a few weeks.  Also, I know you are in S.F., and I know the Berkeley computer store sells them online, so I assume they have a few demos in the store.

Ambs

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2005, 11:38:21 AM »
Melinda - how did you get the discount? Through the website? I'm still considering splurging on an IBM.

bruin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2005, 01:25:18 PM »
You can get the education discount through their website, www.thinkpad.com, or over the phone. I tried the T43 and the X40 the last time I was in LA, at the UCLA computer store. They also had a dell latitude and the differnece between the thinkpads and the Dell was striking. The X40 was a bit too small for me, but the T-series seems just the right size.

I am probably going to buy mine directly through UVa; they have a good deal on a couple of specific models, nearly $400 below the education discount price, actually cheaper than the Dell offered directly through UVa's law school.

Unless you are using one of the big coupons from Dell, there really isn't that great a price difference between the two; you can get a T43 for under $1200 w/education discount.

Ambs

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2005, 01:40:25 PM »
Thanks Bruin, I'm definitely considering it. Can you tell me what some of the striking differences were btwn the Dells and IBMs?

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2005, 01:47:53 PM »
Thanks Bruin, I'm definitely considering it. Can you tell me what some of the striking differences were btwn the Dells and IBMs?

One of the big complaints I have heard about Dell is about the keyboards.  The T43 has an excellent keyboard that is full size.  I am already a very fast typer, and did not want to retrain myself for laptop typing.  I have also heard the Dell keyboards seem flimsy.  Some ppl. have posted about problems with Dells, and IMBs have a much better reliabilty ranking.  IBMS are known to be sturdier, more reliable, and have higher performance.  I am not here to bash Dell at all.  I know some ppl. are really happy with them.  The Thinkpad just seems like a better machine, and worth the price for me. I got the discount via phone, and I would suggest calling b/c the guy who helped me was very informative, and not a pushy sales guy at all.

bruin

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2005, 01:51:56 PM »
The big difference for me is the quality. The IBM's are much sturdier than the Dell's I have seen. The keyboards are said to be the best available, which after trying one out, I have to agree. For the 3 years that we will be relying on tehse computers, I want something that I think willl stand up to the heavy use they will go through. And I have heard good things about thinkpad tech support, if something goes wrong.

The size of the T43 is good; 1" thick and under 5 lb for the 14" model, though I guess this is similar to the Dell 600m and 610.