Law School Discussion

LSAT Schmelsat. What's it REALLY mean?

1Laspirant

• Ardenthearted
    • View Profile
LSAT Schmelsat. What's it REALLY mean?
« on: May 26, 2005, 01:57:59 PM »
I've got a pretty decent undergrad GPA (3.5) from a decent school, but I can't get my LSAT to 160. If the school I want to go to places 25-75% LSATs at 163-160, how realistic are my chances?

COmom

Re: LSAT Schmelsat. What's it REALLY mean?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 02:06:54 PM »
Do you have any other 'outstanding' characteristics?  Volunteer work, work experience, URM status?  I would say it could be tough to get in (based on this limited information), but not out of the question.  What is the school's 25/75 GPA?  If you are planning on applying for Fall 06 I would suggest sending in apps early and doing some 'extra credit' stuff now to beef up your application.

1Laspirant

• Ardenthearted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 02:09:03 PM »
Gracias COmom....I've got some vol work and I'm a decent writer. That and $0.99 may get me a cup of coffee, but I hope you are right and it'll also get me some credibility with whomever is reading my stuff. Thanks.

COmom

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 02:34:51 PM »
I don't want to discourage you and re-reading my post I didn't think I sounded very positive.  I applied to CU because I am instate and was waitlisted (check out LSN for my less than stellar numbers).  So if it is a state school you could also have a better chance of admittal (since most require a certain percent of instate students).  Anywho - I think you stand a good chance - good luck!

1Laspirant

• Ardenthearted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 07:19:10 AM »
COmom,

Not at all. I just wanted to get some sort of realistic perspective as to where I stand. You proivded that.

I've never been a good standardized test taker (I always wrote my way out of any holes I dug for myself on m. choice exams). Your reply and information gave me some perspective - that I should apply but should keep some safety schools in there.  Thanks.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 08:09:23 AM »
I've never been a good standardized test taker (I always wrote my way out of any holes I dug for myself on m. choice exams). Your reply and information gave me some perspective - that I should apply but should keep some safety schools in there.  Thanks.

Out of curiosity, what are you doing to prepare for the LSAT? The LSAT is tough, but vast score improvements are common, given the right practice and preparation. The games are especially "learnable" - and resources like the Logic Games Bible are available to help you do that. I'm just trying to assess what you mean when you say you "can't" get your score up to 160 - perhaps you actually CAN do it, but don't yet know how to get yourself there.

1Laspirant

• Ardenthearted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 02:12:41 PM »

Out of curiosity, what are you doing to prepare for the LSAT? The LSAT is tough, but vast score improvements are common, given the right practice and preparation. The games are especially "learnable" - and resources like the Logic Games Bible are available to help you do that. I'm just trying to assess what you mean when you say you "can't" get your score up to 160 - perhaps you actually CAN do it, but don't yet know how to get yourself there.

I spent about two months prepping with myself and my book (KAPLAN LSAT Test prep book). I did pretty well, gaining a good amount of points. Then I took a class for a month (met eight times, three hours per meeting) that pretty much sucked, but I gained a few points there, mostly because of the Logic Games. I've tried hard to try and get my score up to 160 or 161, but I just can't seem to make the points. If I do well on LR, the Logic Games get me.

Part of it is, even though I actually enjoy (I know it sounds sadistic) those logic games, I can't seem to get them done in the time alotted or I freeze up a bit because of the time thing. I continue to do well on the LR. The sad thing is that my score on Reading Comp actually declined between my first diagnostic test and my most recent.

By the way, I checked out your profile. You did well, damn well on the test. You even majored in the same things as me - English and philosophy.

twarga

• Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 03:39:10 PM »
A few more points added to your LSAT score can equal tens of thousands of dollars in scholarship money.  Take it from me.

1Laspirant

• Ardenthearted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 01:07:07 PM »
Well, there you go. This Saturday, I took a practice exam (a retired LSAT), and I got my 163. Anyone want to give me an idea as to how practice tests  (esp. former tests) compare with the real deal?

COmom

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 03:26:40 PM »
Honestly it is hit or miss...  For my second LSAT I scored a 161, but was testing around 154-158.  The more you take the tests and understand why each answer is what it is the better, but honestly practice tests can't really predict the real deal.  Congrats on your 163 practice though!!!