Law School Discussion

What are you wearing right now?

LaneSwerver

Re: What are you wearing right now?
« Reply #720 on: July 14, 2005, 07:01:42 AM »
I went to a baptist mass once and I was amazed at the fact that everyone turns off their inner dialogue (like Austin Powers) once inside the church.  The minister is going on about sin and sinners, and the congregation is saying things like, "You got that right!" and "Amen!"  During catholic sermons you don't hear a peep.

Was this an African-American church? That's fairly commonplace, I've found.

Regular ol' whitebread Baptist churches are just like any other, though.

It was the National Baptist Church in D.C.  My friend, Kate, and I were 19 and the only white people in the church (she was catholic, too).  We were waaaaay underdressed.  After it was over (we'd gone there to see my friend Artie sing), Artie introducted us to the minister.  He said he thought we were from the girl scouts there to recruit some new girls for a troop.

Awesome. I love African-American churches, mostly because I love gospel music and they do it like no one can. The congregational participation is great!

twarga

• Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: July 14, 2005, 07:02:22 AM »
Now I want to be a Pentacostal.  What an awesome religion!!

Are the Whirling Dervishes still around?

This is where the term "Holy Rollers" came from as they do enjoy rolling around on the floor, handling snakes, and my cery favorite: Speaking in tongues. This is creepy the first time you see it...I guess ya'll don't have these guys in the North? Lots of crying goes on, too. There are usually tissue receptacles built into the pews. Very classy.

My mom went to one of those churches with the "Holy Rollies" as she called them, when she was a child in the South.  It turned her off on religion, and she let our dad raise us all catholic.  She'd only go to mass on Christmas (I guess she was pretty creeped out).

I love it. The last time I visited one of these churches was for the funeral of a friend. They had extra tissues out on all the rails and kneelers. Someone jumped onto the casket (thankfully it was closed) and people were speaking in tongues. I loved it! I think that's how I wanna go out...

I'll make all the arrangements.   ;)

LaneSwerver

« Reply #722 on: July 14, 2005, 07:02:56 AM »

I'm not quite ready.

twarga

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: July 14, 2005, 07:05:08 AM »

I'm not quite ready.

That's too bad.

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: July 14, 2005, 07:05:51 AM »
twarga is a closet jew?

not those people kill our lord jesus?

LaneSwerver

« Reply #725 on: July 14, 2005, 07:06:02 AM »

I'm not quite ready.

That's too bad.

I can always count on you for a vote of confidence. Aren't you about due for an undie change?

LaneSwerver

« Reply #726 on: July 14, 2005, 07:06:23 AM »
twarga is a closet jew?

not those people kill our lord jesus?

They ain't making Jews like Jesus anymore.

twarga

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: July 14, 2005, 07:09:11 AM »

I'm not quite ready.

That's too bad.

I can always count on you for a vote of confidence. Aren't you about due for an undie change?

I've had a rough morning, Lane.  Rough, I tell ya!   >:(  If it weren't for my fan club, I'd have thrown the Colonix out the window by now.   :P

LaneSwerver

« Reply #728 on: July 14, 2005, 07:11:59 AM »

I'm not quite ready.

That's too bad.

I've had a rough morning, Lane.  Rough, I tell ya!   >:(  If it weren't for my fan club, I'd have thrown the Colonix out the window by now.   :P

Don't take it out on me! Change your Depends and you'll feel much better!

Abevigoda

• You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: July 14, 2005, 07:14:34 AM »
There is a Catholic church in Chicago that has alot of the audience participation usually only seen in Baptist churches (St. Sabina).  I have yet to go to mass there, but I here it is quite an experience.