Law School Discussion

What are you wearing right now?

LaneSwerver

Re: What are you wearing right now?
« Reply #710 on: July 14, 2005, 06:48:47 AM »
Maybe she converted to Catholicism, although I couldn't see why anyone would.

You get your aerobic workout while you worship... now that's what I call multi-tasking for the Lord!

don't you just love when half the congregation is standing and the other half is sitting because nobody knows if they should be sitting or standing and everyone is looking around with big question marks over their head ??? ???.

That's what's great about the Pentecostals...if you decide you want to fall down, writhe, and roll around on the floor before anyone else does, it's OK.

That sounds fun... a little dangerous, but fun nonetheless!

Did I mention the snakes?

Sleezstak

« Reply #711 on: July 14, 2005, 06:50:27 AM »
lining up for the punch bowl...kool aid anyone?

Abevigoda

• You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: July 14, 2005, 06:51:54 AM »
Now I want to be a Pentacostal.  What an awesome religion!!

Are the Whirling Dervishes still around?

LaneSwerver

« Reply #713 on: July 14, 2005, 06:54:08 AM »

This is where the term "Holy Rollers" came from as they do enjoy rolling around on the floor, handling snakes, and my cery favorite: Speaking in tongues. This is creepy the first time you see it...I guess ya'll don't have these guys in the North? Lots of crying goes on, too. There are usually tissue receptacles built into the pews. Very classy.

twarga

• Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: July 14, 2005, 06:55:04 AM »
I went to a baptist mass once and I was amazed at the fact that everyone turns off their inner dialogue (like Austin Powers) once inside the church.  The minister is going on about sin and sinners, and the congregation is saying things like, "You got that right!" and "Amen!"  During catholic sermons you don't hear a peep.

PresClay_00

« Reply #715 on: July 14, 2005, 06:57:13 AM »
ha, Baptist Mass, ha

LaneSwerver

« Reply #716 on: July 14, 2005, 06:57:27 AM »
I went to a baptist mass once and I was amazed at the fact that everyone turns off their inner dialogue (like Austin Powers) once inside the church.  The minister is going on about sin and sinners, and the congregation is saying things like, "You got that right!" and "Amen!"  During catholic sermons you don't hear a peep.

Was this an African-American church? That's fairly commonplace, I've found.

Regular ol' whitebread Baptist churches are just like any other, though.

twarga

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: July 14, 2005, 06:57:52 AM »

This is where the term "Holy Rollers" came from as they do enjoy rolling around on the floor, handling snakes, and my cery favorite: Speaking in tongues. This is creepy the first time you see it...I guess ya'll don't have these guys in the North? Lots of crying goes on, too. There are usually tissue receptacles built into the pews. Very classy.

My mom went to one of those churches with the "Holy Rollies" as she called them, when she was a child in the South.  It turned her off on religion, and she let our dad raise us all catholic.  She'd only go to mass on Christmas (I guess she was pretty creeped out).

twarga

• View Profile
« Reply #718 on: July 14, 2005, 07:00:08 AM »

Was this an African-American church? That's fairly commonplace, I've found.

Regular ol' whitebread Baptist churches are just like any other, though.

It was the National Baptist Church in D.C.  My friend, Kate, and I were 19 and the only white people in the church (she was catholic, too).  We were waaaaay underdressed.  After it was over (we'd gone there to see my friend Artie sing), Artie introducted us to the minister.  He said he thought we were from the girl scouts there to recruit some new girls for a troop.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #719 on: July 14, 2005, 07:00:40 AM »

My mom went to one of those churches with the "Holy Rollies" as she called them, when she was a child in the South.  It turned her off on religion, and she let our dad raise us all catholic.  She'd only go to mass on Christmas (I guess she was pretty creeped out).

I love it. The last time I visited one of these churches was for the funeral of a friend. They had extra tissues out on all the rails and kneelers. Someone jumped onto the casket (thankfully it was closed) and people were speaking in tongues. I loved it! I think that's how I wanna go out...