Law School Discussion

Does anyone here regret going out too much in college?

Does anyone here regret going out too much in college?
« on: May 09, 2005, 08:15:15 AM »
Hey, does anyone here regret partying/going out too much during college and in turn, getting a lower GPA that what they could have gotten if they stayed home and studied more?

I go out and have fun a lot, especially during weekends and I usually feel really guilty because it is my Junior year and I feel like I should be staying home all the time and just studying. My schedule isn't that hard because I am a Soc. major, but I still feel like I am dissipointing myself by not taking my classes more seriously and really being on the money with all the assignments etc.

My grades are still pretty high (I am expecting a 3.2 this semester) and I really don't do much studying at all. I am really busy during the weekdays with work etc, and the weekend is really the only time I have to study, and I just use that time to go out and have fun. I am just looking to get into bottom Tier 1 and Tier 2 schools, but I just feel dissipointed in myself sometimes because I feel like if I could change one of my B's into a A, then I would have a 3.5 and that would totally change my options.

Should I be feeling guilty that I have fun ALL weekends long (with pretty much no studying), or is this pretty typical of what you guys experienced in college (which btw, is supposed to be the funnest time in your life?)

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone here regret going out too much in college?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 08:44:57 AM »
Why can't you balance it?  What do you do Saturday and Sunday during the day?  Why not go out Friday, goof off Saturday, and go out Sat night, but maybe head home at 1 instead of 3 or 4?  Then you can get up at a reasonable hour and spend most of Sunday doing work.  If you do next to no work on the weekends now, adding in 8-10 hours on Sunday will make a big difference.

What it comes down to is time management.  There's no reason you can't go out and have fun and yet still pull in the grades you want.  And you may as well learn to manage your time now, 'cause if you don't, you're going to have some serious issues trying to adjust to law school.

And you're going to get responses here that say, "@#!* work, just go out and do whatever you want, since undergrad is the last time you can."  Well you know what?  Since you're disappointed in your grades and what you put into school, this obviously isn't advice you're comfortable taking.  Sit down, look at how much more work you'd have to put in to bump a couple of grades higher, and fit that in during the day on teh weekends.  It can absolutely be done, trust me.

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 08:47:44 AM »
hey.  don't worry about it.  if it makes you feel any better, i did study alot in college.  when i applied to law school, i had a 3.8, and i graduated magna cum laude from georgetown.  that, however, didn't help me at all.  i got a 161 on the lsat, and, as a result, my high gpa and four years of hard work didn't do me any good...

btw, what is wrong with a bottom tier 1 school?

murkydreamer

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 09:01:16 AM »
#@!* work!

Oh wait.

Seriously though, regardless of whether or not you should be feeling guilty about partying it up all weekend, you obviously are already.  If you're disappointed with your grades, spend a little more time studying to bring them up.  It doesn't mean you need to turn into a workaholic, but put a little more weight on studying than you do now.  Yes, college is a time to have fun but that doesn't mean you need to do so at the expense of your grades.

I studied a fair amount during college.  My undergrad is known for the "work hard, play hard" mentality and most students managed to do just that.  People generally spent a couple hours each night during the week to study, go out Thur/Fri/Sat (1 or all 3), and study all day Sunday.  You just have to find that balance for yourself where you're happy socially but also happy with your grades.   

desmo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 09:09:50 AM »
Hmmm, nobody told me a 2.4 would come back to haunt me...

Of course I regret it, but it's too late now.

Wisdom gained that I hope to impart to my children.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 09:12:49 AM »

Yeah, but they won't listen...

desmo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 09:19:23 AM »

Yeah, well I wish my parents would have told me to stop screwing off!

Oh wait, come to think of it...

LaneSwerver

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 09:20:02 AM »

Yeah, well I wish my parents would have told me to stop screwing off!

Oh wait, come to think of it...

Exactly. I think I might have heard that at some point, too. Lots of good it did me.

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 09:56:53 AM »
Here was the average week of my life in college:

Monday: class, work out, do a little work (maybe), smoke
Tuesday: see monday
Wednesday: maybe go to class/work out, and either smoke or drink, or both
Thursday: nurse a hangover, drink at bars, smoke around 2am
Friday: Dont even think I saw campus on a friday, wake and bake, then hit up whatever bar special started at 6
Saturday: repeat friday with a mix of college football
Sunday: nurse hangover all day, watch NFL games during the fall, smoke

Came out of it all with a 3.3 and a job that pays well. I bet if I didn't smoke myself stupid, and only drank on weekends, it would be about a 3.7 or higher. Needless to say, I did enough to get myself into law school, and had a blast every step of the way.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 10:30:42 AM »
Yup.  You got yourself into law school.  T4, however, isn't something the OP said he'd be happy with.