Law School Discussion

College Football

ASNetlenov

Re: College Football
« Reply #280 on: July 12, 2005, 07:19:46 AM »
And what is college football without pointless arguments?

I have to respect that :)

I really enjoy the people that take it too seriously. They are too much fun to mess with.

SMUkid2005

• SMU 21, TCU 10 ... BCS what Froggies?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #281 on: July 12, 2005, 02:05:41 PM »
I was at SMU for four years (talk about brutal football). Back in the early 80's we fielded the best pro-college teams to boot haha. Even though only about 18,000 people per game care, SMU will win 6-7 games this season.

USC is a great football team. I think they deserve the crown, although I do think Auburn deserved the chance to play them over OU. I don't think USC will win it all again. They showed vulnerability against Cal and Stanford. A few slip-ups and a loss can happen. Especially when everyone in the conference sees the X on your back (see LSU last year). Although, it's sad when Arizona State is your toughest conference opponent.

The Pac-10 might be a one-trick pony ... but hell, the worst BCS conference is the Big East. Might as well give CUSA and the MWC BCS bids.

Teams that will most likely disappoint:

1. OU
2. Notre Dame (they deserve it for firing Willingham)
3. Texas A&M
4. Ohio State
5. Florida (only b/c Gator fans expect way too much)

Teams that will most likely live up to hype:

1. Texas (VY is one helluva player that can win games, even if his QB skills are novice)
2. Tennessee
3. USC (even if not undefeated, still Pac-10 Champs)
4. LSU
5. Louisville (How hard is it to run the table in the Yankee-Doodle Pansy Conference?)

Teams that will most likely surprise (not neccessarily MNC contenders):

1. Alabama
2. Nebraska
3. South Carolina
4. Penn State (Please JoePa, if it's a good year retire for your own sake!)
5. Washington (It's Ty, and he's in the Pac-10 -- he doesn't have the ND schedule this time)

And no offense to the west coasters, but no matter the quality -- it will never compare to Texas or Southern Football. The fanfare and tradition and tailgating in the South is incomparable. And I'm not talking your fight song or records in regards to traditions. If your USC went 0-11, do you think LA would sell out its stadium for a whole season? Our USC did ... 85,000 even in consistently atrocious years. On the west coast, it's about trends ... and right now (and deservedly so), Trojan football is hot. UCLA isn't -- and their attendance records show it.

Can't wait for this season to start ... Off season is so painful.

ahoipkem

« Reply #282 on: July 12, 2005, 04:37:48 PM »
3Peat-
Thanks for the Rose Bowl clip. Yea, you whooped our asses and I flew across the country to witness it and the wound still hurts, so thanks for that. That USC team had an absolutely nasty D-line, but there is no way in hell you go undefeated again this year even with your patsy schedule. I don't care how good Leinhart is. Hopefully we get another shot at you this year.

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 13, 2005, 12:52:06 AM »
ESPN.com Experts' Greatest College Football Teams of All-Time
1. 1971 Nebraska
2. 1972 USC
3. 1995 Nebraska
4. 1945 Army
5. 2001 Miami

ESPN.com Viewers' Greatest College Football Teams of All-Time
1. 1995 Nebraska
2. 1994 Penn State (even though they didn't even win the NC that year! ha!)
3. 1991 Washington
4. 1971 Nebraska
5. 2001 Miami

Discuss.
Last year's USC team was one of the greatest football teams and would have been the greatest EVER if Williams was allowed to play.  Position for position, USC beats any of those teams with better athletes and genius coaching.

SMUkid2005

• SMU 21, TCU 10 ... BCS what Froggies?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #284 on: July 13, 2005, 06:39:22 AM »

And no offense to the west coasters, but no matter the quality -- it will never compare to Texas or Southern Football. The fanfare and tradition and tailgating in the South is incomparable. And I'm not talking your fight song or records in regards to traditions. If your USC went 0-11, do you think LA would sell out its stadium for a whole season? Our USC did ... 85,000 even in consistently atrocious years. On the west coast, it's about trends ... and right now (and deservedly so), Trojan football is hot. UCLA isn't -- and their attendance records show it.

Can't wait for this season to start ... Off season is so painful.

For the most part, I agree with you, buttt......

I am from Texas.  I have grown up with football traditions my whole life.  Other than really good music and really good sex, there is nothing I love more in this world than college football.  I went to every A&M bonfire from the time I was born until they stopped having them.  I've been to muster, I don't walk on the grass, and I am overly familiar with the Dixie Chicken.  As for UT, I could sing "the eyes of Texas are upon you" before I could spell my own name.  I went as a UT cheerleader for halloween when I was 4, 6, and 9.....

In short, I know a thing or two about Texas football traditions, fanfare, and rivalry.

And the thing is, I find USC's fanfare and tradition just as, if not often times more impressive than many traditional southern football programs whose games I have been to.  THe reason?  The students and alums themselves.  See the problem with LA, is that with any sporting event, AT LEAST 30% of all seats in a game are reserved for corporate seats and celebrities.  When the teams suck, the celebrities and corporate people don't come.  Add that to the really rich fans that just have tickets for the hell of it, and yes, you come up with some bad attendance records.

But teh fanfare, the rivalries, the passion.  It's all still there.  Just go stand (yes, stand) through a whole game in student section, paint your body, do crowd pushups, and sing Tusk.  And don't even think that we are going home if we start to lose.  We might eave the stands to go buy beer (up until this year, you could still buy alcohol in the colliseum :P) But we don't leave. 

All I'm saying is, attendance records aren't everything, don't knock it till ya tried it!

You went to both Aggie and Longhorn games, and rooted for each? That's like being a fan of Auburn and Alabama, or rooting for Florida and for Florida State. Not saying you're not a football fan, but to enjoy the traditions and rivalries of Texas and Southern football -- I would think you'd realize you don't root for both.

I'm not saying I hate USC, or that they're bad. But the rivalries in the Pac-10 just don't compare. USC/UCLA is the only game IN-CONFERENCE (USC/ND isn't in-conf) that people know about, save maybe the Apple Cup. Games like Oregon State/ UO, ASU/AU, etc. have no national interest. Seriously, just go to a game at Bryant-Denny, Jordan-Hare, Between the Hedges, Neyland, The Swamp, Tiger Stadium, or even Vaught-Hemingway. It doesn't matter if they're playing Kentucky or the top-ranked SEC school at the time. Every game is a huge rivalry -- and the Pac-10 doesn't have that. It's not USC's fault as much as it is that people on the west-coast just don't live and breathe football like we do. New England is the same way.

The Big XII is also missing this b/c the big Texas schools whored themselves out instead of keeping with tradition in the SWC. Texas/OU, OU/Nebraska, A&M/Texas are good -- but who cares about KU/Texas Tech, Mizzou/Oklahoma State, etc? No interest. The SEC, Big X, and ACC to an extent -- have been good about preserving traditions and creating rabid fans.

If 30% of your seats go to celebrities and corporate sponsors, then you've proved my point. That's not a tradition, it's just a trend that when things are hot the people go. Students should always go to the games. Alumni and students don't fill up the 85,000 seats at South Carolina when they go 0-11. Tennessee doesn't fill up 108,000 on students and alums alone either.

Craig James didn't rat us out ... Eric Dickerson is the one that said "When I went to the NFL from SMU, I took a pay cut." Did we deserve some type of punishment? Yah, we were cheating. I just think it's ridiculous we were the only ones to get the death penalty <cough cough Bama, A&M, Miami, Colorado> Of course, it'd be foolish to think any of the successful privies aren't doing the same thing now ... they're just better at hiding it than we were, plus the state schools in CA don't care if y'all are better at FB than they are, and won't rat y'all out.

ASNetlenov

« Reply #285 on: July 13, 2005, 07:10:52 AM »
Last year's USC team was one of the greatest football teams and would have been the greatest EVER if Williams was allowed to play.  Position for position, USC beats any of those teams with better athletes and genius coaching.

It will take some time before the legacy of last year's team can be established. They certainly belong in the conversation at least.

Merc

« Reply #286 on: July 13, 2005, 12:55:39 PM »
Go Big Blue

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 13, 2005, 01:00:53 PM »

Merc

« Reply #288 on: July 13, 2005, 01:07:07 PM »
Nice one.

How about this?

Michigan: 841 Wins  276 Losses  36 Ties  Pct: .745

USC: 720 wins 297 Losses 54 Ties Pct: .697

:-*

(yes, i had to go all-time stats.  We're still the reigning Kings there.)

ahoipkem

« Reply #289 on: July 13, 2005, 02:08:16 PM »
I wasn't going to go there, but I'm glad you did.