Law School Discussion

Houston Roll Call

Re: Houston Roll Call
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2005, 04:21:11 PM »
Yeah the only thing that bothered me was the whole crime issue.  The management problem isn't really that disturbing.  But I called a couple of apartment locators this morning and they pretty much confirmed what the message board says.  They said that place is particularly bad mainly because it is so close to 59, and it's easy for people to get in and get out so it gets hit harder than other places.  I'm seriously thinking about looking elsewhere because I haven't signed a lease yet.

I don't know if you can do this in TX, but in CA, you can call the local police department, give them your address and they will run a report of all the crimes in your area. They can grid it year over year and give a break down of the type of crime. Since Houston isn't zoned, I would look in a 5-7 mile radius instead of the usual 3-5. (I'm obsessive and I like to research, so I do this type of thing a lot.)

tacc731

« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2005, 06:35:22 PM »
Yeah the only thing that bothered me was the whole crime issue.  The management problem isn't really that disturbing.  But I called a couple of apartment locators this morning and they pretty much confirmed what the message board says.  They said that place is particularly bad mainly because it is so close to 59, and it's easy for people to get in and get out so it gets hit harder than other places.  I'm seriously thinking about looking elsewhere because I haven't signed a lease yet.

I don't know if you can do this in TX, but in CA, you can call the local police department, give them your address and they will run a report of all the crimes in your area. They can grid it year over year and give a break down of the type of crime. Since Houston isn't zoned, I would look in a 5-7 mile radius instead of the usual 3-5. (I'm obsessive and I like to research, so I do this type of thing a lot.)

That's a great idea.  Have you tried it in Texas?

« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2005, 08:50:12 PM »
We did this when we were looking for a place.  You can call the HPD and they will run a check for you.  I think they may have a website you can ask them for.  My husband did all of the research so I'm sure of all the details, but I remember him doing something similar to what scurvy was talking about.

« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2005, 08:57:02 AM »
anastasia- i agree with you completely!  it was very strange that all you get from the online loan is a list of lenders to randomly choose from.  i called the uh fin aid office while i was looking at the list b/c i thought there must've been something wrong with it, no links with info on each lender couldn't be right, but, they said it was the way it was and i had to my own research, bummer!  I went with Wells Fargo for my stafford loans, b/c I'm taking a private loan with Wells Fargo so I thought I may as well have all of my debt in one place.  Although, I can't say I did as much research as I feel like I should have on the private loan, WF sent me a packet of info on their "graduate/professional education loan" program and it seemed to be very similar to the setup of the stafford loan, Bank One and Chase also sent me similar offers, but WF was the best.

tacc731

« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2005, 09:30:12 AM »
For instance, the rate is variable, but could the bank at least tell you what the rate is currently?  Is the rate the same for every lender regardless?  Does the rate depend on your credit rating?

For the Stafford loans the rate is set by the government.  It has nothing to do with your credit score.  I believe at the moment the rate is 3.37%.  It is adjusted every year on July 1st and is based on the rate for 91-day Treasury bills. No matter what the rate can never exceed 8.25%.

htrus

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2005, 10:12:25 AM »
For instance, the rate is variable, but could the bank at least tell you what the rate is currently?  Is the rate the same for every lender regardless?  Does the rate depend on your credit rating?

For the Stafford loans the rate is set by the government.  It has nothing to do with your credit score.  I believe at the moment the rate is 3.37%.  It is adjusted every year on July 1st and is based on the rate for 91-day Treasury bills. No matter what the rate can never exceed 8.25%.

Yep, and considering the 91 T Bill rate is up from last year, I think we are probably looking at the 4% to 5% rate when they re-peg on July 1st. Should we blame W, Greenspan or the terrorists?

Thanks, I was so irritated after posting that I went googling and figured it out.  The 3.37 rate starts after graduating or when repayment begins.  During enrollment, the current interest rate is 2.7% on the unsub loans for anyone else who's interested. 

Anyone got any ideas on the consecutive payment rewards and whether or not making interest payments during school counts towards such?

« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2005, 12:11:33 PM »
Thanks for he info on the rates Htrus!

I can't believe I still have 6 weeks before I get to Houston. I'm getting so anxious. I am totally stoked for my new life as a Texan. Seems like I'm the only one from out of state . . . so do I have any volunteers to help me figure out how to registar my car, get a TX DL, and buy a toll road pass?

cc40988

« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2005, 01:32:06 PM »
get ready.. it's already in the 90s here..and it'll be that way for the next seven days... :'(

Thanks for he info on the rates Htrus!

I can't believe I still have 6 weeks before I get to Houston. I'm getting so anxious. I am totally stoked for my new life as a Texan. Seems like I'm the only one from out of state . . . so do I have any volunteers to help me figure out how to registar my car, get a TX DL, and buy a toll road pass?

« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2005, 09:34:18 PM »
Bump . . .

Any new Houston-ites?