Law School Discussion

Houston Roll Call

tacc731

Re: Houston Roll Call
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2005, 12:47:12 PM »
Traci, the area is where kirby meets braeswood.  There are a lot of apts in that area between kirby and buffalo spdwy.  They billed it as part of the med. center.  Of course, I'm not sure if it is because I'm not at all familiar with the are.

where2g0

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2005, 04:23:26 PM »
Traci, the area is where kirby meets braeswood.  There are a lot of apts in that area between kirby and buffalo spdwy.  They billed it as part of the med. center.  Of course, I'm not sure if it is because I'm not at all familiar with the are.

Thats a great area.  There are some brand new condos going up on Gramercy which is off of Kirby and a block south of Holcomb.

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2005, 04:35:57 PM »
My realtor tells me that all the new doctors are buying in my area so they can be close to the Med Center (without the higher prices). Since I'm not from around here, I believe her. How close am I really to the Med Center? I'm off 288 and Beltway 8.

where2g0

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2005, 04:46:26 PM »
My realtor tells me that all the new doctors are buying in my area so they can be close to the Med Center (without the higher prices). Since I'm not from around here, I believe her. How close am I really to the Med Center? I'm off 288 and Beltway 8.

The intersection of 288 and Beltway 8 is 10 miles from the corner of Fannin and Holcomb, which is the basically the middle of the Med Center area.

« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2005, 02:12:48 PM »
tacc- you're place on the opposite side of the med center as scurvy's; i'd say equal distances, your place (providence ?) is not in the med center.  If making a straight line from your place to scurvy's (see address in prior post) it would go: your place > 10 minutes> med center> downtown>5 minutes> UH> 10 minutes> scurvy's

where2g0

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2005, 03:47:51 PM »
tacc- you're place on the opposite side of the med center as scurvy's; i'd say equal distances, your place (providence ?) is not in the med center.  If making a straight line from your place to scurvy's (see address in prior post) it would go: your place > 10 minutes> med center> downtown>5 minutes> UH> 10 minutes> scurvy's

I think you are confused.  Where Kirby meets Braeswood is a mile and a half from the Med Center.  Scurvey is in Pearland which is about 10 miles south.

« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2005, 07:53:23 PM »
Hey ya'll UH-IL's, sorry.  I've lived in H-town for 3+-years; however, I work downtown and shop in RiverOaks/Montrose?Heights/Galleria, so I cannot truly claim to know ANY area of H-town.  Honestlym, I'm not sure what are you'd classify the area I live in!!  If it is more than 5 minutes radius from my place, I've not been there.  So, please do not take my work at 'face value' this is a sort of 'ask all questions before bidding' type of deal.  Sorry.  I grew up in a way tiny town and went to college at Oklahoma State, which claims to be in a 'big city' but really isn't; so, H-Town is like to Oklahoma to me and I'm not the best to consult on location type things, I apologize if I've given off false impressions to anyone, please accept condolences.

« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2005, 07:20:23 PM »
Just wanted to say: If any of you new Houston-ites need to crash with us when you get in to town or are looking for a place, you're welcome to. We'll be there July 1! ;D

tacc731

« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2005, 10:23:25 PM »
Well we signed on the dotted line today for an apt at Providence at Kirby.  Moving in on June 15.  If anyone is still looking I strongly recommend the medical center district.  It's a nice neighborhood and is just a short trip(10-15 min.) from the law school.

« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2005, 05:57:10 AM »
Houston is so mixed that it's hard to figure out which areas are good and which aren't. Just thought this site might be helpful http://www.apartmentratings.com  You can click the link in the top right corner to search by apartment name and city/state.