Law School Discussion

Canadian Citizen, US Educated, Practice In Canada?

Canadian Citizen, US Educated, Practice In Canada?
« on: April 23, 2005, 06:23:31 PM »
Hey Guys, got a question for you.  Im a canadian citizen who is going into his senior year in undergrad at a U.S. institution in Georgia.  I've been here for three years, one more year to go.  Im writing my LSAT this year and plan entering law school fall 2006 in the US (any school in the top 20 will do).  What im curious about is, I know during summers and after graduation I will be able to find work here in the U.S. and write the bar and find a company to sponsor my visa after graduation.  I know lots of internationals who have, no problem there.

My question is what if i decide i'd like to practice in Canada (go home to Toronto), how does my J.D. hold up?  I know in Canada you dont get a J.D. unless you go to U.of.T. which happens to be the hometown where im from :)

Just curious!!  Can I come back to Canada to practice?  Will i just have to sit for the exam again, or does passing the Bar count? I figure I will probably end up in  NYC working 80 hours a week blah blah blah.  If anyone knows please drop me a line!  THanks!

-Neil

Re: Canadian Citizen, US Educated, Practice In Canada?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 08:40:48 PM »
Hey! I looked into this...So I should be able to help you. 

Here is a helpful website: http://www.bond.edu.au/law/internat/canada2.htm

It talks about the value of an Australian LLB- but the process should be the same with an American JD (or at least virtually the same).

Here is more specific info from the Canadian Bar Association...

http://www.cba.org/CBA/Gate.asp

Wolfie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 12:52:04 AM »
Outside of being hired by a Canadian firm to deal with US law, I believe you will most likely have to do another 2 years at a Canadian law school. But I too hope that is not the case.

Cheeks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 07:41:13 AM »
sorry, i'm too hungover to give a good response

basically, if you want to practice in canada, go to school in canada.   The canadian bar is a female dog, and it's very very very difficult to come back.

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 08:01:37 PM »
I looked into some of those websites, great info THANKS!  Unfortunetly it looks like it's upto the bar association to assess your foreign education and work experience, and decide on how to proceed.  It dosen't list any *chances* of being accepted or doing more work.  I think law between the two countries is pretty similar and if you've passed the bar in the US i doubt they would make you go through a canadian legal education.  I figure if anything they'll make you write the bar in Canada, just to prove you know your stuff.  Just getting a contingency plan ready! :)  I will try to get in contact with the bar and see what they have to say about it. Thanks

-Neil

Wolfie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 12:27:01 AM »
Keep me updated too. I guess it depends on what you plan to study. I really doubt you can simply take the BAR and practice in Canada because Canadian law IS different or so I'm told.

Cheeks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 05:31:20 AM »
Keep me updated too. I guess it depends on what you plan to study. I really doubt you can simply take the BAR and practice in Canada because Canadian law IS different or so I'm told.

this is right.  Unless you've practiced for ~5 years, additional schooling and a year of articling will be required if you want to join the Canadian bar.   :'(

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 06:01:06 AM »
this is right.  Unless you've practiced for ~5 years, additional schooling and a year of articling will be required if you want to join the Canadian bar.   :'(

Really!?  Wow.  In all honesty I thought the legal system was similar, and the underlying concepts were the same.  I also assumed passing the bar in the US demonstrated you were competant enough to practice, offcourse after passing the canadian bar as well.  I would really hate to do more school in Canada, after going through 3 years for my J.D. in the USA.  Ah well..such is life. 

Do you guys know anyone who has tried this or gone through the US Legal system and is now back in Canada trying to practice?  I would love to have a first hand account.  Thanks

-Neil

Cheeks

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 10:09:41 AM »
I talked to a Columbia alumni that did this.  He said that he had to go to a Canadian school for 2 more years.  I think he went to Mcgill. 

It's not so much the different law, but the stubborness (2 n's? ugh) of the Canadian bar association.

Wolfie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 08:56:21 PM »
I'm applying to US schools mainly cause Canadian law schools are GPA whores so I'll never have a chance to get in in my life time. I too don't think it'll be worth it to do another two years just so I can practice in Canada. Afterall, in my case, it would be an expensive way to get into Canadian law school (and I'm only guessing that I can get in easier with an American JD). But, I wonder if there are jobs/demand for people with both Canadian and American degrees.