Law School Discussion

Happy Birthday R.E.M.

Happy Birthday R.E.M.
« on: April 16, 2005, 10:41:12 PM »
I know some of you are too young to appreciate such a great band, but 25 years ago this month REM launched themselves onto the music scene.  They began by playing a birthday party in Athens, GA.  Although I am almost too young to remember the days when they could fill up a stadium in the United States, they are still touring all over the country and the world.  They have never compromised or sold out to sell albums.  They still beat to their own drum.  They are my favorite band, and I decided to write this little tribute to them.  So thank you Michael Stipe, Mike Mills, Peter Buck and the retired Bill Berry for your wonderful music.  Here's to hoping for many more years of your musical talents. 

VinnyMyCousin

• Say you'll do the job.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday R.E.M.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 12:59:50 PM »
I know some of you are too young to appreciate such a great band, but 25 years ago this month REM launched themselves onto the music scene.  They began by playing a birthday party in Athens, GA.  Although I am almost too young to remember the days when they could fill up a stadium in the United States, they are still touring all over the country and the world.  They have never compromised or sold out to sell albums.  They still beat to their own drum.  They are my favorite band, and I decided to write this little tribute to them.  So thank you Michael Stipe, Mike Mills, Peter Buck and the retired Bill Berry for your wonderful music.  Here's to hoping for many more years of your musical talents. 

I have pleasant memories of summer, 1991 (when I was 9 and watched a lot of MTV)..."Out of Time" was the biggest thing next to G n R's "Use Your Illusion" albums..."Losing My Religion" and "Shiny Happy People" were in heavy video rotation. I was too young to remember REM before that but those were the days!

And I still say "Fables of the Reconstruction" is the best album name I've ever heard.

dave303

• La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 01:23:43 PM »
Yes it's so sad that all they have left from their many years of touring and song writing is a paltry hundred million dollars.

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 08:25:51 PM »
Yes it's so sad that all they have left from their many years of touring and song writing is a paltry hundred million dollars.

Yeah they may be worth millions, but you have to admit they never wrote music just to make millions.  Otherwise, they would have just kept making albums that sounded like Out of Time or Document; you know, the U2 route to success, make the same album over and over then move on.  Instead, they kept evolving and creating sounds that many people didn't like.  I love their album New Adventures in Hi-Fi, but most people aren't impressed by it.  And Up is fantastic, but was never well received by the American public.  And Fables of the Reconstruction is a great album name, and a great album when you listen to it.

dave303

• La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 09:20:43 PM »
I think U2 is a fine band. I like songs from them both, even if bono is a bit over the top with all his political stuff. If you want to see a band that likes to constantly switch styles try a Stereo Total CD. If singing in three languages isn't enough I think they also throw in a couple different music styles.

http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hurl.exe?~a-600111/0672408_0111_00_0002.ra

http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hurl.exe?~a-600111/0672408_0116_00_0002.ra

VinnyMyCousin

• Say you'll do the job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 10:09:54 PM »
And Fables of the Reconstruction is a great album name, and a great album when you listen to it.

I agree...I have the album, but the single, "Driver 8", is still the best one on it.

VinnyMyCousin

• Say you'll do the job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 10:11:20 PM »
"Bang and Blame" from Monster could have been a great song, but the chorus sucks.

VinnyMyCousin

• Say you'll do the job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 10:13:58 PM »
I have Reckoning as well. Which are your fav. tracks from that one?

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 10:12:32 AM »
Well of course on Reckoning you have to love (Don't go back to) Rockville, and Pretty Persuasion (And if you know what stipe is singing, i'm impressed) and 7 Chinese Brothers.  I agree with you that Driver 8 is the best single off that album, it is just a great song.  Monster is a pretty good album, I am not the biggest fan.  I love King of Comedy, and Bang and Blame.  Although, I must admit that the chorus isn't the best.