Law School Discussion

Which Private Lenders Are You Choosing?

BAFF213

Re: Which Private Lenders Are You Choosing?
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 02:48:08 PM »
Is Nellie Mae any good?  My girlfriend's mom is the Vice President of Operations for that company - I wonder if she can get me a good rate?

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 03:19:46 PM »
You mean "Sallie" Mae?   ;)

I personally like Sallie Mae, especially because of their re-payment offers.  If you sign up for automatic payments, and you make them consistently for 2-3 years, you can get up to a 1.75% drop in interest.  Plus, if you have another lender for your loans, and Sallie Mae is the payment gateway for them, you can really take advantage of some great combo offers.

ilsox7

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2005, 05:27:23 PM »
Access Group.  98% of my school uses them and you actually have to give written notice to the school if you plan to use anyone else.  For excellent credit, it's the LIBOR 3 Motnh +2.70%.

BAFF213

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2005, 07:49:41 PM »
They're connected with Nellie Mae - don't ask me how.  All I know is that she is VPO at Nellie Mae.  And I'm pretty sure both Nellie Mae and Sally Mae are both for college student loans (I think).  I think Fannie Mae is for mortgages. I also heard that they are all acronyms too.

You mean "Sallie" Mae?   ;)

I personally like Sallie Mae, especially because of their re-payment offers.  If you sign up for automatic payments, and you make them consistently for 2-3 years, you can get up to a 1.75% drop in interest.  Plus, if you have another lender for your loans, and Sallie Mae is the payment gateway for them, you can really take advantage of some great combo offers.

lauralynne

• '02 PSU Alum
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005, 04:42:50 AM »
bump

Oneof2

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2005, 07:00:49 AM »
Right now Im leaning towards Access Group.  I get 3 month Libor + 2.55% which ends up being something like 5.47%.  My big concern is how these rates will change.

Here are the projected forecasts for both prime and libor.  It doesnt look so good.

Prime Forecast: http://www.neatideas.com/prime.htm
Libor Forecast:  http://www.neatideas.com/economics/3mlibor.htm

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2005, 08:07:36 AM »
My dad's accountant is off golfing or something.  He got an extension to file my dad's taxes too.  This guy's been doing my dad's taxes for years and years, so my dad's gettin a bit annoyed with him.

No worries, I'll still post here whatever my dad reports back to me.

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2005, 09:52:36 AM »
i'll be going with Northstar.org's T.H.E. loans for both stafford and private, they're non-profit so no fees, interest rate for me (not so good credit) is libor + 2.75, for me access was going to be libor + 3.3 + cosigner, so this worked out lots better...

BAFF213

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2005, 02:10:43 PM »
Fire him and hire my dad - he's a CPA with his own (growing) practice in Woburn. However, my dad does love to golf too...

My dad's accountant is off golfing or something.  He got an extension to file my dad's taxes too.  This guy's been doing my dad's taxes for years and years, so my dad's gettin a bit annoyed with him.

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2005, 02:58:37 PM »
Fire him and hire my dad - he's a CPA with his own (growing) practice in Woburn. However, my dad does love to golf too...

And what does your dad think about all of this loan stuff/which lender is best?