Law School Discussion

Where is it worth transferring?

Where is it worth transferring?
« on: January 29, 2008, 11:08:20 AM »
If I am 4.0, #1 in class at a Top 25. If my grades keep up, what type of schools would I actually benefit from transferring to. Assume that I can grade on to law review here and would not manage to write on wherever I was going.

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: Where is it worth transferring?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 12:11:52 PM »
Stay where you are, unless you want to teach; in which case transfer to a T14.

Nimmy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 05:23:05 PM »
You can probably get in anywhere, but like the above poster said, unless you want to get into serious academia, there's no reason to transfer.  You'll be highly sought after and get a market paying job at a great firm easily.

With that being said, I would probably apply to Harvard and Yale since those schools give you so much prestige just by being on your resume.

uart

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 07:17:27 PM »
You can probably get in anywhere, but like the above poster said, unless you want to get into serious academia, there's no reason to transfer.  You'll be highly sought after and get a market paying job at a great firm easily.

With that being said, I would probably apply to Harvard and Yale since those schools give you so much prestige just by being on your resume.

At #1 in your class, you can prob. find a way into academia without a T14 degree. My contracts prof. went to Miami and then did an LLM at Yale. My torts prof. went to Pepperdine and has an LLM from somewhere as well (he parlayed a very successful career as a trial lawyer into an academic career).

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 07:33:42 PM »
I would put in applications at the top 5.  some firms dont recruit outside the T14.  Plus, opportunities for clerkships are greater and so are opportunities for academia.  Its always better to keep your options open.  In addition, a few years down the line, no one will care what your GPA was or class ranking, but they will care where you went to school.  Plus, you are unlikely to stay #1 after your first year as Law Review and OCI will be very time consuming.  Dont take a risk, get out if you can.