Law School Discussion

How does one estimate their class rank?

How does one estimate their class rank?
« on: May 08, 2007, 10:35:01 PM »
I am finishing 1L.  My current law school (tier 2) doesn't rank its students.  How can I estimate where I stand in my class?  My school has a "B" curve, and I have a 3.5 gpa.   

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: How does one estimate their class rank?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 04:16:09 AM »
You don't.  You simply give your gpa, and perhaps note that you have no way of knowing what your rank is.

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 04:50:27 AM »
My school is unranked and we're not allowed to estimate it when talking to employers. I'd imagine that other schools are the same way or else there'd be no point of having an unranked system.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 04:51:08 PM »
I am finishing 1L.  My current law school (tier 2) doesn't rank its students.  How can I estimate where I stand in my class?  My school has a "B" curve, and I have a 3.5 gpa.   

It's even harder to tell at my school - we are not given GPA's. And you can't really calculate what your GPA is because they have a GPA stored secretly for you for Law Review/Order of the Coif purposes, and the GPA is calculated to account for people who took classes with especially easy professers (an A- won't count as much if 50% of the class got an A/A-) whereas a B- would hurt you more if the teacher only gave out a few.

rhombot

• hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 02:35:13 AM »

you need an additional data point on the curve before you can estimate. e.g. if you know what GPA corresponds to the 90th percentile, you can sit down with a stats table and estimate your rank.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 07:02:12 AM »
Better question:

How does one extimate HIS class rank?

GA-fan

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 11:45:49 AM »
Many schools also post this data on teh NALP law school directory site