Law School Discussion

How easy is it to transfer BACK in state

How easy is it to transfer BACK in state
« on: March 20, 2007, 02:16:01 PM »
I had the brilliant idea of going out of state for law school to get away from my home state of florida and just experince a new place.... but now i'm desperate to go back cuz i miss my folks and friends and you know what they say "the heart grows fonder".

My question is:
(1) Do schools give preference to their undergraduates? I got my bachelors and masters from University of Florida, but will the law school take this into consideration when looking at my app? How much consideration?
(2) Also they require a paper saying why i wanna go to UF. Should i say that im home sick? or is that too sappy (and possibly may show weakness)??

Re: How easy is it to transfer BACK in state
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 02:29:38 PM »
1) NO
2) YES

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 09:40:59 AM »
I agree with Blunderbuss.

I think you being a UF grad may help in pleading your case in terms of going to UF Law (you know the area, what they have to offer, and knowing this, UF is something you want) but I doubt they will get too excited about it.

Show weakness? This isn't a try out for the Special Forces or a CIA Interrogation. You have a compelling reason to want to go to UF and ultimately, after 1L grades/rank, I think that is what Adcoms look for.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 09:43:36 AM »
I agree with all.  The preference for return to the state will matter very little, if at all.  Your chances will be based virtually entirely on 1L grades.  Also, keep in mind that UF is not a transfer-friendly school, likely due to the very low attrition.  You should try FSU (accepts huge transfer classes) and Stetson (T3 but good FLA reputation).