Law School Discussion

What can you expect as a Tax Attorney?

Sako

What can you expect as a Tax Attorney?
« on: February 28, 2007, 06:26:07 AM »
I am curious what sort of issues you would expect to deal with as a Tax Attorney (Yes, "Taxes", I know, you can skip that snide post).  What would the average day of a tax attorney be like, etc...?

I would appreciate any information.

Thanks.

Re: What can you expect as a Tax Attorney?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 10:21:06 PM »
I am curious what sort of issues you would expect to deal with as a Tax Attorney (Yes, "Taxes", I know, you can skip that snide post).  What would the average day of a tax attorney be like, etc...?

Thanks.

Misery...that's what you can expect. Different strokes for different folks, of course.  BUT, I had an interest in estate planning after my second year wills and trusts class. (I was even lucky enough to get the highest grade in the class.) That interest quickly died once I took the estate planning and taxation course I'm enrolled in this year.  The Federal Tax Code is absolutely stupefying.  I mean it is truly awful.  It makes the federal codes on health law that I had to slog through in a course last year seem downright scintillating.  And this course only deals with one area of tax law.  I simply can't imagine being a tax attorney.  To me, there could almost be nothing worse in the legal profession.  I think successful tax attorneys must have all the interests and intellectual attributes of professional accountants, or actually be from the accounting field earlier in their career.  For the most part, your practice will have nothing to do with the type of legal reasoning you've done in practically all of your other law school courses.  You will be mired in tax statutes day in and day out.  Furthermore, it is a particularly difficult area of law.  Malpractice suits abound -- not only in estate taxation, but other tax areas, as well.  Having said that, if you like it and have the aptitude for it, I hear the hours can be really good.  And, any lawyer with legitimate tax credentials can usually garner a premium salary.

Re: What can you expect as a Tax Attorney?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 07:55:48 AM »

Thanks.

It supposedly has a great QOL in most firms/government agencies.  There is not going to be any accounting, that is misguided.  You will argue the law of tax (eg, is x a form of income and thus taxable? Does y fit into this deduction?).  Also, a job taxation nearly REQUIRES an LLM, so you should consider whether you want to extend law school by a year.