Law School Discussion

When to get desperate?

GA-fan

When to get desperate?
« on: February 09, 2007, 06:37:25 AM »
When will you start to panic at lack of a 1L summer gig lined up?

I feel like I have a lot of applications out there (fellowships, externships, summer associate positions, etc) that I'm waiting to hear something from. Problem is, if I get the externship, some of them are binding (meaning I can't take a subsequent employment offer).
How late are you waiting to start offering your (free/minimum wage) services to toilet firms in hopes of getting some experience this summer?
I'm also not willing to move out of the university town without some pay (I have a mortgage to pay here, so I really can't "double up" without some extra income), which may limit my options.

Thoughts?

Budlaw

• View Profile
Re: When to get desperate?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 08:36:55 AM »
You might want to think about taking summer classes, or studying abroad. Both are acceptable ways to spend a summer.

I took summer classes last summer and it worked out very well for me. I booked both classes because I think everyone else kinda slacked off a bit. I also ended up getting a law clerk position at a local firm during the summer (which is continuing on today) simply because I was in town to go interview for the job. So summer classes can be worth it.

I personally don't have any experience with law school study abroad, but I know its a very acceptable way to spend your summer. Employers just want to see that you're not wasting your summer doing non-legal related things.

As to when you should start whoring yourself out for free/minimum wage - wait a while. A lot of schools haven't even had Spring OCI yet. Most 1L's don't have jobs at all yet. So just give it some time. Its not time to panic or get desperate yet.

When will you start to panic at lack of a 1L summer gig lined up?

I feel like I have a lot of applications out there (fellowships, externships, summer associate positions, etc) that I'm waiting to hear something from. Problem is, if I get the externship, some of them are binding (meaning I can't take a subsequent employment offer).
How late are you waiting to start offering your (free/minimum wage) services to toilet firms in hopes of getting some experience this summer?
I'm also not willing to move out of the university town without some pay (I have a mortgage to pay here, so I really can't "double up" without some extra income), which may limit my options.
On a side note, lots of my classmates with avg grades at a mid T1 are planning to go abroad or take classes this summer, but I tend to think the school is suckering them into thinking this is an acceptable way to spend 1L summer...

Thoughts?

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: When to get desperate?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 09:17:24 AM »
I focused applying on Firms until mid February. I start applying for non-profits around then.  I ended up accepting a position with the D.A. in early April.

So you have some time yet.  I'd starting thinking about sending out some applications in the next few weeks.  At least check if there are any public interest job fairs around town and checking out the list of employers.  Employers who interview at those job fairs may fill up spots from people from that job fair, so if there's one that you're particlarly interested in, you might consider going to the fair just for that employer.