Law School Discussion

1L Summer Recruiting Questions

1L Summer Recruiting Questions
« on: January 29, 2007, 01:44:42 PM »
Hello,

I am a 1L in Canada and have some questions about applying to US firms.

Initially, I used NALP to track down potential firms.  Because many firms info pages said that 1Ls should apply after Dec 06 or Jan 07, I wanted to wait until I received my grades for first semester.  Now, with grades in hand, I have looked through many firms' websites and am finding lots of info on the 2006 OCIs, but not so much info in the "How do 1Ls apply for summer positions" department.

My questions are as follows:

Is applying as a 1L as simple as mailing out application packages to firms?  Is there no formalized process to follow?  If there is no process, is it still possible to land a job (or even an interview) as a 1L if I send out packages in the next week or so?  Also, how effective are electronically submitted applications?  Finally, besides NALP, are there any other databases or resources I can use to find potential law firms?

I apologize if these seem like elementary questions and I would appreciate any advice anyone has.

Thanks!

TDJD84

• View Profile
Re: 1L Summer Recruiting Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 02:19:50 PM »
All you have to do is find out the address of the firms, and mail it to the recruiting coordinator.  You should include your resume, cover letter and perhaps a writing sample.  I don't know how feasible attaining a summer position as a 1L is, this late in the game. Your best bet would be to try and send your resume to mid sized and small firms.  You should also try secondary markets.  If you want to practice in Chicago.. apply to firms in chicago, indianapolis, st. louis, etc.  If you want to apply to New York Firms, perhaps, philly, jersey.  Washington D.C? than try baltimore, you get the point.  I don;t know how effective that tactic will be this late in the game, but hey, its worth a shot! Best of luck

Re: 1L Summer Recruiting Questions
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 03:18:21 PM »
Your best bet is to use Martindale. If you do an advanced law firm search, you can search by city and size so you'll be able to target smaller, non-NALP firms. You'll probably have better luck in secondary markets without top law schools.