Law School Discussion

Bottom Half of Class-Job Opportunities?

Bottom Half of Class-Job Opportunities?
« on: January 24, 2007, 06:07:24 PM »
So after one semester, I'm in the bottom half of my class :(.  Though I don't intend to stay down there, I just wanted to know what would my job opportunities would be if my situation did not improve.  I go to a pretty high T2 in the NYC area.  And I know big firms are definitely out of the question.

Re: Bottom Half of Class-Job Opportunities?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 09:45:20 PM »
Big firms were probably out the question for your 1L summer anyway. Just try and get a legal job of any kind, paid or unpaid, for this summer. Take a paying job in addition to it if you have to. Just get some substantive legal work and a writing sample out of this summer, and you'll be all set for next summer. 

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 10:15:36 PM »
Big firms were probably out the question for your 1L summer anyway. Just try and get a legal job of any kind, paid or unpaid, for this summer. Take a paying job in addition to it if you have to. Just get some substantive legal work and a writing sample out of this summer, and you'll be all set for next summer. 

Do you think I'll be able to get a judicial clerkship with this rank?

GA-fan

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 05:36:57 AM »
no- but you might be able to get an externship.

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 06:08:55 AM »
Really?  I have a list of judges from career services that includes around a 1000 judges in the NY/NJ area.  My rank isn't even going to be on my resume.  You're saying there's no chance a judge will give me a clerkship based on two grades?   Career services said I should have no problem getting a clerkship.  How come you think this isn't true.  I'm not trying to be combative, I was just wondering why you think I won't get a chance.  Also what does the bottom half of the class do for internships?? 

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 06:39:55 AM »
I think there is some mixing up of terms. Generally speaking:

Clerk = Works directly for the judge briefing her on upcoming matters, etc. They are generally full-time law school grads.

Extern = Works in the judges office, usually for the clerk, assisting in research and writing drafts, etc. They are generally students working for free to get some experience.

I would say your chances of getting an externship (which a lot of 1Ls do in the summer) is good. In terms of a clerkship, someone in that ranking would definitely not be in line for a federal or state clerkship but I've seen lots of folks in that range go and clerk in municipal court but the pay is generally poverty-level.

Really?  I have a list of judges from career services that includes around a 1000 judges in the NY/NJ area.  My rank isn't even going to be on my resume.  You're saying there's no chance a judge will give me a clerkship based on two grades?   Career services said I should have no problem getting a clerkship.  How come you think this isn't true.  I'm not trying to be combative, I was just wondering why you think I won't get a chance.  Also what does the bottom half of the class do for internships?? 

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 06:50:31 AM »
Externing for a state court judge isn't the end of the world.  My friend did it her 1L summer, and for 2L summer, is working for the biggest firm in the state. 

YOU make your own opportunities. What you do your 1L summer doesn't dictate the rest of your life.  That's only true if you believe it to be.  Now start networking and get your butt moving!

:)

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 07:21:31 AM »
Yes ma'am!  (And I was mixing up terms.   Thanks for the clarification)

tenth8sphere

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 08:41:18 AM »
I thought working for ANY judge was a great summer opportunity?

Budlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 07:21:12 AM »
Sure, its a great opportunity if you can afford not to get paid. But why the hell would you want to do that?

I thought working for ANY judge was a great summer opportunity?