Law School Discussion

GPA and transferring

GPA and transferring
« on: November 26, 2006, 09:32:45 AM »
I know someone on this board has said that most schools change your 1L grades to c/nc, but how does ranking work then? Are you just ranked after 2L based on that GPA? That doesn't seem very fair if the school you transfer into has a tough curve for their 1Ls, as your GPA from 2L would be higher. I'd love to know if anyone has any idea how it works. Thanks!

Re: GPA and transferring
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 09:36:15 AM »
that's right.  After first semester 2L that becomes you're ranking, and you're right, it's not really fair to students who have been there.  One of my professors visited a different school her third year and complained about how it was unfair to her, because she was no. 2 in her class, but the person who was no. 1 transferred.  So my prof's ranking was 1L and 2L, while the other person was 2L and 3L.

The flip side of this coin, though, is that you could do worse.  Presumably, you have a high ranking if you are able to transfer, and you could risk losing that.

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 05:06:40 PM »

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 12:22:12 PM »
Thanks for the info- I guess that makes sense, you're taking a risk with your rank by transferring anyway, if you manage to do well on the curve at the new school you probably deserve the ranking.

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 01:42:16 PM »
Thanks for the info- I guess that makes sense, you're taking a risk with your rank by transferring anyway, if you manage to do well on the curve at the new school you probably deserve the ranking.

And the rationale is that its really the only way to do it.  It wouldn't be fair to compare rankings from several schools.

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 02:22:27 PM »
Maybe not fair but Xfer has it right, I left a pretty high class rank when I transferred.

Also no guarantee that I will do well in the curve compared to the rest of my 2L class.

Though, it is nice going from a 2.7 curve school to a 3.4.

Oh my GAWD CoxlessPair, your quote is hilarious! So true, so true.

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 05:20:53 PM »

Oh my GAWD CoxlessPair, your quote is hilarious! So true, so true.
[/quote]

I'm a regular message board laugh riot.