Law School Discussion

Is it possible to transfer from SUNY-Buffalo to UPENN?

Is it possible to transfer from SUNY-Buffalo to UPENN?
« on: August 18, 2006, 06:07:26 PM »
I am a 1L at SUNY-Buffalo (or will be starting August 25th) and I am interested in transferring to UPenn.  I am not relying on transferring, and believe I will be happy at Buffalo in the likely event that transferring does not work out, but I was just curious if such a large jump is possible.  Moreover, Does UPenn accept a significant amount of Transfers?  I know undergrad GPA and LSAT do not really matter, but I have a 3.5 from Cornell, and LSAT scores of 154 (December '05) and 160 (February '06).  If I was able to get top 5 or 10%, would a transfer to Penn be possible?

Re: Is it possible to transfer from SUNY-Buffalo to UPENN?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 12:34:37 PM »
Top 5%, sure.
Penn has a decent transfer class but if you are gunning for T-14, GULC/NYU/Columbia are without a doubt the most transfer friendly.

I went T4 to Top 30, anything is possible in the transfer world with the right grades and some luck.

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 02:21:56 PM »
Just a warning: 
Penn rejected one of my classmates (ranked in the top 3% at our top-T2 school).  And Penn never gave any decision at all -- ever -- to several other students I know.  So good grades are no guarantee of anything, certainly not at Penn.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 06:29:20 PM »
I don't see any point in worrying about this until you get your first semester grades.  I know people who intended to transfer from lower a ranked school to a specific T1 school from day one, and they did it without flinching.  At least not in public. I know many more who didn't even come close. 

Just try to be the best you can be, and if opportunity knocks, worry about it then.