Law School Discussion

LEEWS

LEEWS
« on: April 29, 2006, 01:52:37 PM »
I've seen many posts and other comments that the LEEWS system for exam taking is great, but I haven't really heard anyone say that it really doesn't help.  Has anyone used it and not seen results?  Also, when should I start listening to the CDs?  I start school in the fall but if it would be beneficial I could listen to them this summer.

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: LEEWS
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 03:28:01 PM »
I'd recommend listening to them in mid september/early october, so you have all the info fresh for when you start outlining and doing practice exams.

And the reason no one says they didn't help is that they almost always DO help, I think.  If they tell the truth, they have a ridiculous satisfaction rate.  And I have yet to talk to someone that didn't like at least some part of the program.

eli250

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 05:48:46 PM »
I just got leews and hope it makes a difference next year as well.  I've heard a lot of great comments about it on this message board.  However, I have heard some negative comments on the other message board (xo..?).  Those basically said that there isn't a system at all that will help you and that all of the prep materials are simply taking advantage of the anxious and confused 1Ls.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 08:06:18 PM »
PLS does, and they recommend LEEWS (which is unfortunate, IMO...not all press is good press).  PLS is written by someone who seems very bitter about law school, and really harps on fears that people already have.

LEEWS is pretty staightforward, and the fact that they rely heavily on word of mouth advertising really sort of keeps them out of fray in terms of taking advange of 1Ls.

brewha

• I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 05:45:46 AM »
You can't be Chuck Norris... He doesn't need LEEWS.

S|

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 07:23:11 AM »
PLS works.  LEEWS works. You also have to put in a lot of time, but it relieves some stress of plunging into the unknown. I wish I could go into more detail, but I am studying for exams.  Maybe in May I will reel off some long rant.

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 10:54:03 AM »
I would like to hear from you snough.  I've purchased the E&E's for all of my first semester classes, and I'm about half through the Torts one and I seem to be learning, though I don't know how much it will actually help.  I really disliked PLS's attitude, and there was LOTS of stuff in the book that could have been omitted, but I can't go into lawschool blind.

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 08:56:37 PM »
Since we're talking about LEEWS and PLS generally...

I found that the advice that PLS II gave on exam writing is the best advice you can take. I found that the exams that  I thought that I could ace by just memorizing my outline because I was running out of time (mainly from spending so much time CREATING my outline), I did the worst on. The two classes that I spent more time doing exams over and over were the two that I did the best on. I actually never made a real Crim outline and I did better than the other classes that I did make one for.

So it's exam writing that does the best for me. Good luck.

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 08:20:06 AM »
For me, LEEWS helped as an overall approach to taking exams. I didn't follow a lot of the specific advice and I don't make outlines the LEEWS way. Out of all the supplements I tried, LEEWS and the Civ Pro E&E were by far the most helpful.

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 01:37:08 PM »
I really recommend that you do not waste your money on this system or if you must, find it used.  Your legal research and writing class will teach you how to write and take exams.  What's more, that class will be geared toward the expectations of your professors at your particular school. 

I did buy the system last year.  I wish I had lisened to the few lone voices that told me not to buy it.  Boy, you are going to spend so much money on study aids and supplements that you won't even realize you don't need.  I recmmoned you borrow study aids fron upper classman or the law library before you go out and buy your own.  See what works for you.  For me, after 100's of dollars in books and commercial outline purchases, turns out I like to listen to audio CD's and they work great!  I figured this out by borrowing them from my academic advisor who just mentioned some people seem to like them. That's what worked for me, but that may not be what works for you.

So in short, don't buy LEEWS, see if you can borrow it.  I bet someone has a copy of it at your school.  I'm torn between donating mine to the library or selling on eBay to get my money back.  So look to your legal writing course and professors for how to write an exam. My 2 cents.  Good luck.