Law School Discussion

Transfer to NYU or Columbia?

Transfer to NYU or Columbia?
« on: January 03, 2006, 09:39:32 AM »
Hey ppl. Does anyone have any insight into whether it might be easier to transfer to Columbia or to NYU from a T2/T3? Is one or the other more numbers oriented or focuses on ECs or whatever. Any info would be appreciated. Also, how much weight do schools give to rec letters from Alumni?

Re: Transfer to NYU or Columbia?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 09:49:31 AM »
Before I (we) can answer that question, I have 2 questions for you:

1) "Does anyone have any insight into whether it might be easier to transfer to Columbia or to NYU from a T2/T3?"

Easier compare to what?

2) What are your current status? 1L at a T2/T3 or will start T2/T3 in the fall?

Hey ppl. Does anyone have any insight into whether it might be easier to transfer to Columbia or to NYU from a T2/T3? Is one or the other more numbers oriented or focuses on ECs or whatever. Any info would be appreciated. Also, how much weight do schools give to rec letters from Alumni?

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 09:57:12 AM »
I assume you mean, is it easier to transfer into Columbia or NYU.  I can't speak about NYU, but last year CLS accepted 57 transfer students (they did not provide data about where they came from for that year).  The last data I could find is from 02-03, when it seems like there were a lot fewer transfers.  People came from:

Emory
Memphis
Loyola
Fordham - 2
Cardozo - 2
Penn - 5
Lewis & Clark
Cornell -2
Rutgers (2 Newark, 1 Camden)
Suffolk
Illinois
San Diego
Stanford - 2
Northwestern
Indiana
Chicago

FWIW.  Entry is primarly based on your first-year grades, although from this data, it looks like attending Penn doesn't hurt, either.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 01:44:43 PM »
Contract, i mean to compare the two to each other, and i'm a 1L. I'm trying to see whether i should apply to both. 

legapp, thanks for the info.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 02:01:05 PM »

1L at what schoool?  What do you expect your class rank to be at the end of your 1L?

Contract, i mean to compare the two to each other, and i'm a 1L. I'm trying to see whether i should apply to both. 

legapp, thanks for the info.

Budlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 10:10:03 AM »
I assume you mean, is it easier to transfer into Columbia or NYU.  I can't speak about NYU, but last year CLS accepted 57 transfer students (they did not provide data about where they came from for that year).  The last data I could find is from 02-03, when it seems like there were a lot fewer transfers.  People came from:

Emory
Memphis
Loyola
Fordham - 2
Cardozo - 2
Penn - 5
Lewis & Clark
Cornell -2
Rutgers (2 Newark, 1 Camden)
Suffolk
Illinois
San Diego
Stanford - 2
Northwestern
Indiana
Chicago

FWIW.  Entry is primarly based on your first-year grades, although from this data, it looks like attending Penn doesn't hurt, either.

Most of those schools are Top schools anyway. (with a few notable exceptions)

S|

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 12:02:33 PM »

Not really, unless you are counting 30-100 as top schools.

Budlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 04:32:15 PM »

Not really, unless you are counting 30-100 as top schools.

Excuse me, I guess I should have said 7 of the 17 listed are top schools.

Are you saying that Stanford, Penn, Cornell, Fordham, Chicago, Northwestern and Emory are not Top Schools?

I guess you are referring to Illinois, Indiana and San Diego, Cardozo, Loyola and Rutgers. These are the mid-ranged schools.

The "few notable exceptions" I was referring to are Memphis, Lewis and Clark, and Suffolk.

Don't argue semantics....

S|

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 05:57:06 PM »
"Most" would imply at least over half. 7 of 17 is not "most." My point being that making a large jump from transfering is possible.

Budlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 06:59:08 PM »
"Most" would imply at least over half. 7 of 17 is not "most." My point being that making a large jump from transfering is possible.

It is possible. I'm not saying that it's not. Cool.