Law School Discussion

The raised bar

The raised bar
« on: January 02, 2006, 09:52:47 AM »

BigTex

• View Profile
Re: The raised bar
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 02:45:33 PM »
I think law review competition involves three factors, weighted differently at various schools:

1) 1L grades
2) performance on editing assignment. basically, you're given an article w/ a lot of citation mistakes and you have to find and correct as many as you can
3) some kind of paper you write in a contained academic universe. i.e. you are given a bunch of articles that serve as your research sources and are told to write a paper on some specific topic related to the research sources.

I think most schools give you a week or so to do #2 and #3 immediately after finals.

S|

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 09:11:16 AM »
BigTex,
How did the PLS method work out for you?

BigTex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 07:38:33 PM »
BigTex,
How did the PLS method work out for you?

I didn't know what courses i'd have until just a few days before the semester began. So, i had to guess, and i only guessed right on one course: K's. So, i did PLS prep for K's but not for my other 2 courses. I felt I had the strongest grasp of the material, and the best exam performance, in K's. However, we won't know till grades come out, so I can't really say yet whether or not PLS worked for me.

S|

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 09:44:00 AM »
That's too bad.  The only class that I didn't prep for was K's.  Even though I followed PLS throughout the semester by reading the supplement, reading the casebrief, reading the casebook, then outlining- I still felt more comfortable in classes for which I had prepped
Even after all that, I still feel there was more I could have done on the exams.  We haven't gotten our grades back yet, so I wanted to know whether the system worked for someone else. The wait is killing me.

BigTex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 10:53:41 AM »
apparently, we won't find out grades until february.  >:(

S|

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 12:05:25 PM »
That's how it is here too. There is a possibility that grades will come in before then, but most come in before the deadline.