Law School Discussion

Anyone still looking for summer jobs?

Re: Anyone still looking for summer jobs?
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 04:17:31 PM »

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 08:11:40 PM »
I hate the internet more and more every day.

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 08:54:06 PM »
Maybe the internet hates you too.

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 06:40:19 AM »
I said I would post any problems, and I've got one.

I can't send further correspondence to firms once Iíve sent out my resume. I see why you did that, so people don't contact the same firm multiple times, but I'm at the point now where I'd like to send letters of continued interest. It would be really convenient if I could use the cover letter option to draft a letter of interest, and send it out through your program. Right now, I'm drafting individual emails. Can you fix that?

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 08:35:36 AM »
I said I would post any problems, and I've got one.

I can't send further correspondence to firms once Iíve sent out my resume. I see why you did that, so people don't contact the same firm multiple times, but I'm at the point now where I'd like to send letters of continued interest. It would be really convenient if I could use the cover letter option to draft a letter of interest, and send it out through your program. Right now, I'm drafting individual emails. Can you fix that?

Wow, that is an awesome idea.  Here's what I'm thinking- you click the link for continued interest letter and up comes a list of firms you've sent resumes to.  Then you deselect the firms you've already heard from and hit send, and they go out.  What do you think?

I like this idea a lot.  I'm a little concerned about its potential for abuse though... what if a student sent one out to all the firms he's applied to even though a bunch have already got back to him?

It would take a fair amount of coding but we'll definitely consider it.  Could you please send me a sample of whatever letter you're sending out to [email protected]?

Thanks!

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2006, 10:37:55 AM »
Yeah, that's true about people abusing it. I didn't think of that.

I'll post my letter here. If anybody has any critiques or what not, feel free:

Dear :

I contacted you recently about a summer position. I am still seeking employment and hope that you will consider my resume. My first year, first semester grades are now available. I earned Deanís List honors with a GPA of XX. Additionally, blahblah academic honors. If you would like a copy of my transcript, I would be more than happy to send one to you.

Thank you again for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Me

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2006, 10:32:48 PM »
That's a good idea.

Something like that is how I actually landed my job 1L year.  A firm kinda blew me off but called me back for an interview when I wrote them an e-mail saying 'hey, what gives?'