Law School Discussion

Transferring Down

Transferring Down
« on: July 05, 2005, 08:46:08 AM »
Anybody have any experience about transferring down? I am in a top 15 law school at the moment with a 3.2 GPA and have had some advice that it's better to be in the top of a slighly lower ranked (but still top tier) school, than bottom of a good school. Is this just wrong? Maybe I am just a bit disillusioned with not doing as well as I wanted to right now. I really want a job at a big firm and am worried about the on-campus interview week. Thanks.

Also, what prospects if you didn't do so well in the first year, but bring up your game in the 2nd and 3rd. It seems like law school is pretty much over after the end of the first year if you want to work for a big firm b/c of the way the interview process works. Does it even matter if you do well after 1st yr?

jdohno

• View Profile
Re: Transferring Down
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 09:08:15 AM »
Stay at your school and raise your GPA. Most people are trying to transfer into a top 15 school so you are already there. You might have not have a chance with big law but you can try some medium firms and do a lateral hire to a big firm. Besides at a lower ranked school, your GPA still won't put you at the top of the class. People at lower ranked schools sometimes compete for jobs with people in the middle of the class at top schools. For something to raise your GPA try going to Leews.com. I used Leews this year to great success. Since the exams are the basis for grades, it helps to know how to write a great exam answer.

For other advice about transferring down or staying at your school, go to this transfer group on Yahoo. Some of the people who transferred last year still are on the board and might be able to help you out. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/
Anybody have any experience about transferring down? I am in a top 15 law school at the moment with a 3.2 GPA and have had some advice that it's better to be in the top of a slighly lower ranked (but still top tier) school, than bottom of a good school. Is this just wrong? Maybe I am just a bit disillusioned with not doing as well as I wanted to right now. I really want a job at a big firm and am worried about the on-campus interview week. Thanks.

Also, what prospects if you didn't do so well in the first year, but bring up your game in the 2nd and 3rd. It seems like law school is pretty much over after the end of the first year if you want to work for a big firm b/c of the way the interview process works. Does it even matter if you do well after 1st yr?

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 09:46:26 AM »
Also, what prospects if you didn't do so well in the first year, but bring up your game in the 2nd and 3rd.

* I can answer that question in about two months. 
Stay at school and improve your grades.

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 11:32:59 AM »
Thanks for the advice. After reading the other posts in this board it seems like I was given bad advice to transfer down. I haven't heard of anybody doing it that way round

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 04:33:05 AM »
I'm just curious, though - can you?  Does a "lower" school take transfer students that didn't do so well at higher ranked schools?  Doesn't make a lot of sense.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 06:02:21 AM »
Yeah of course you can. I've known people who have, but it's usually more to do with location (spouse changing jobs etc., need to be closer to home-town) than grades.