Law School Discussion

Is it possible to transfer from a 4Tier like Cooley to a 2Tier or 3Tier?

Is it possible to transfer from a 4Tier like Cooley to a 2Tier or 3Tier? If so is the LSAT score still considered in the transfer?

Thanks~ Crissy

jdohno

• View Profile
I just checked your profile and you listed your email address. I am sending by email an article from a Cooley law student who transferred from there to Boston College (ranked #25). Also in her class, another person transferred to Boston College and another classmate transferred to University of Michigan. The article first appeared on the Sua Sponte website. Sua Sponte transferred from Hastings to Chicago. So check your email.

Your LSAT score doesn't matter when you transfer. There are a few schools who will look at your LSAT and grades if you are a borderline applicant. But the vast majority of schools don't look at your scores. I'm at a bottom tier school and I already got into Georgetown early action. I'm also applying to some schools in the top 15 and higher. So it's definitely possible. HTH.

Is it possible to transfer from a 4Tier like Cooley to a 2Tier or 3Tier? If so is the LSAT score still considered in the transfer?

Thanks~ Crissy

Even if I am trying to get into a school like Columbia or NYU? 

jdohno

• View Profile
It depends. How high is your GPA? Where do you think you are in the rankings. I think I will finish in the top 5 people not just top 5% or 10% at my school. NYU and Columbia have taken tier 4 people but usually you have to be in the very top of the class. I know of one guy who was #1 at a tier 4 school and he transferred to Columbia. So it's possible. Great grades can overcome a low LSAT score. Your first year grades prove that you can do the work. It also depends on the curve you earned your grades on. You won't know if you don't try.

Even if I am trying to get into a school like Columbia or NYU? 

"Even if I am trying to get into a school like Columbia or NYU?"

It certainly is possible.  I did it two years ago and will be graduating this week.  All year long, I kept wondering whether I'd get in, and finally sent in my transfer application the day before the deadline (which I think was July 1!)  Amazingly enough, I got in.  The year I transferred, several people from my school (low tier 4) transferred to top schools like Georgetown, Cornell, and yes, Columbia.  You have to be a top student at your school, probably top 4 or 5 students in the class (I was No. 2, with a 3.9 GPA).  Even if you don't think you'll successfully transfer, just give it a try.  What do you have to lose anyway - other than the application fee?  If you ask me, it's worth it.

What is the timetable on sending out your transfer applications?  And when do you usually hear from the schools about acceptance,rejection?

jdohno

• View Profile
Each school has their own time tables. You have to check their sites. Usually it's about late June and early July for the application deadline and then you hear from them in early August. They usually don't give you a lot of time to move to the school. Also some schools might reject you quickly but apparently you aren't supposed to give up on them. A couple of years, Boston University rejected a bunch of transfer students and accepted some people. Well a majority of the people they accepted for transfer didn't end up putting down deposits. I guess Boston University was their safety transfer school. Apparently Boston U called some of the people that they had rejected and people who had put in late applications. So a few people got into Boston U that way.

What is the timetable on sending out your transfer applications?  And when do you usually hear from the schools about acceptance,rejection?

jdohno

• View Profile
Georgetown is the only school that accepts transfer students after first semester grades. The deadline for early action is March 1st. Lately they have been defering some people from bottom tier schoools until they receive their spring grades. But if your GPA is over a 3.8 first semester then you have a solid chance at Georgetown. You can also apply to Georgetown after spring semester with a year's worth of grades. But it seems like they fill the transfer class with early action people.

And your question isn't silly. You are right to be confused. All the other law schools want a year's worth of grades and their deadline is usually around July 1st. But Georgetown along with I think Cooley has the largest enrollment of law students. They also have a large number of people transferring up to school like Columbia, etc. So they have rooms for transfer students. In fact I know Georgetown took 113 out of 350 applicants and 56 of those people actually started at the school for second year. Some law schools you have to stay on them because if enough people don't send in the deposits after they were admitted, the schools start calling other applicants giving them verbal offers of admissions sometimes a week before school starts. I know 3 people who got verbal offers of admissions a week before school started at Georgetown, Chicago and Texas.

How did you get into Georgetown "early action"? I'm a bit confused!! Don't you have to wait until you have your first YEAR grades.... I'm also considering a transfer so excuse me if my question seems silly! ???

Thanks for clarifying that!  ;)

Was it hard to get recommendation letters from your professor? Especially after not being there for a whole year befoe transferring.