Law School Discussion

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Deep in the Heart of Texas
« on: April 18, 2005, 06:55:27 PM »
Questions about Texas.  So I've spent 1 year of lawschool in New York City and have racked up an unreal amount of debt already.  I have lived all over the US - including, California, Northeast, and Midwest (St. Louis).  I plan to transfer to a higher ranking school, but I don't know where I would like to settle geographically.  I've considered transferring to some schools in NY, but am also considering other cities.  Chicago is high on my list as both a fun city to live in, and a good legal market.  However, I am very curious about Texas.  Is Houston as cheap as they say?  And, how is the legal market?  I've looked at the estimated budget of University of Houston and it is 1/3 of where I go in NY.  What is Houston like?  Is there a chance of going to University of Houston and finding work in Austin?  What's the deal?  I'm all about cities, and would not want to live in suburbia. Thus, I'd probably want to live in downtown Houston, or somewhere within a 20 -30 minute commute.  Any suggestions? 

Re: Deep in the Heart of Texas
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 12:03:51 AM »
UH students place very well in Houston.

Houston is not a bad city especially if you're inside the 610 loop.

There's a host of other issues you may want to consider, like the weather (muggy, humid) and the people (many fat republicans) j/k.

jdohno

• View Profile
Re: Deep in the Heart of Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 11:35:10 AM »
The original post is old. Transfer deadlines at most schools was July 1st.

Questions about Texas.  So I've spent 1 year of lawschool in New York City and have racked up an unreal amount of debt already.  I have lived all over the US - including, California, Northeast, and Midwest (St. Louis).  I plan to transfer to a higher ranking school, but I don't know where I would like to settle geographically.  I've considered transferring to some schools in NY, but am also considering other cities.  Chicago is high on my list as both a fun city to live in, and a good legal market.  However, I am very curious about Texas.  Is Houston as cheap as they say?  And, how is the legal market?  I've looked at the estimated budget of University of Houston and it is 1/3 of where I go in NY.  What is Houston like?  Is there a chance of going to University of Houston and finding work in Austin?  What's the deal?  I'm all about cities, and would not want to live in suburbia. Thus, I'd probably want to live in downtown Houston, or somewhere within a 20 -30 minute commute.  Any suggestions?