Law School Discussion

US Law School - Immigration Questions

US Law School - Immigration Questions
« on: March 22, 2005, 01:57:43 PM »
I've made up my mind. I'm going to accept the offer and get a J.D.

Now here are some questions I have in mind and I hope someone can help me

- Are there any funds, scholarships or grants for Canadians?

- I think we need a student visa. Do we get it at the border? Or do we submit papers to some immigration office? How does this work and how long does it take?

Summer Jobs
- Do canadians look out for summer jobs just like American students do? Are we allowed to work in the summer or have to come back to canada for 3 months?

After School
- Do we work on TN, H1 or we have to beg and plead law firms to sponsor us for a green card? Would it be detrimental for job prosects?

Thank You.


  • ****
  • 535
    • View Profile
Re: US Law School - Immigration Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 05:40:42 PM »
Once you have accepted an offer at a US law school, they will submit your information electonically to the US SEVIS system.

You will receive a paper I-20 form.  You must take that to the nearest consulate and fill out the student visa application form.  How long they will take to process your application is dependent on the consulate or embassy you go to.  There will be a fee.

In order get the visa, you must demonstrate (via bank statements, etc.) that you have at least enough money for 1 full year (tuition + COA, per the official student budget of your university).  Otherwise, you application will likely be denied.

F-1 students can only work on campus during their first academic year, but can work off campus after that (which would include the first summer). However, the job must be related to your area of study, and any potential employers would have to fill out immigration paperwork on your behalf, so you might have a hard time finding work for just a summer...

And, yes, you would have to get a work visa after finishing school or plead for a firm to sponsor you in order to stay in the country. Otherwise, you have 60 days to leave or be out of status and risk deportation/a 10 year ban on entrance.

Meanwhile, because students on F-1 visas must demonstrate that they have sufficient funds for an entire year of studies, including living expenses, your odds of getting need-based financial aid from a university are virtually nil.  (Any private scholarships or merit scholarships you receive are another story...)

I hope this helps.

Check out these two links; I think they will be helpful.;topicseen#msg524749