Law School Discussion

Dammit... Dinged at Mason

Dammit... Dinged at Mason
« on: March 16, 2005, 03:28:21 PM »
This one hurts. I really thought I had a good chance at Mason and it was my top choice. Oh well, lets hope Tulane comes through.

Re: Dammit... Dinged at Mason
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 03:30:07 PM »
same here, though i knew my chances were about, oh, say .. 10%.

Plain letter came today. so i guess a new round of decisions are heading out.

Mr Belding

• What a tool
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 03:31:02 PM »
Take heart, MASON BLOWS

Tulane is 3x better overall. This might be the best thing that's happened to you ever.

Eegahh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 12:57:34 PM »
Hey Mr Belding,

What exactly makes GMU "Blow"?  Just its uber-conservative nature, or is there more?  They're the highest ranked school I've been accepted to so far, so I'm just curious.

P.S., Slater didn't do it.  It was really Zack.

VinnyMyCousin

• Say you'll do the job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 03:10:30 PM »
Just its uber-conservative nature, or is there more?  They're the highest ranked school I've been accepted to so far, so I'm just curious.

For the record, it should be noted that "uber-conservative" is probably somewhat inaccurate here. I'm aware of their "conservative" reputation, but if you actually browse thru the faculty publications and the GMU law website as a whole, you'll see that the overriding political culture seems to be a classical liberal one--i.e. anti-state. GMU has an institute dedicated to scholarship about human liberty and decentralized govt: http://www.theihs.org/
"Uber-conservative" kinda denotes a Bob Jones Univ. , U. Miss, or SMU. GMU's namesake was a Virginia statesman and colleague of Thomas Jefferson, who was the one of the main men behind that now-defunct document called the Bill of Rights. Both were anti-government, anti-centralization, pro-individual liberty...in this sense, "radical" would probably be more appropriate than "uber-conservative". Not to harp on semantics, but the diff. b/w classical liberal and conservative (if "conservative" is anything close to George Bush II) is a wide, yet too often ignored one.

HTH

htrus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 07:22:03 PM »
Maybe I am missing something, but I am pretty sure SMU and the University of Mississippi should not be lumped in with Bob Jones Univ.

The mission statements/university creeds of all three institutions seem to indicate that while SMU and Ole Miss strive to promote an open and diverse academic environment, Bob Jones University has some other goals in mind.

I think it is fair to say that both SMU and Ole Miss are relatively conservative, but they are not ideological neighbors of Bob Jones U.   

Mission Statement of SMU

The Mission of Southern Methodist University

Southern Methodist University's mission is to be a leading private institution of higher learning that expands knowledge through research and teaching.  Among its faculty, students, and staff, the University develops skills and cultivates principled thought and wisdom.  The University is dedicated to the values of academic freedom and open inquiry and to its United Methodist heritage.

To fulfill its mission the University strives for quality, innovation, and continuous improvement as it pursues the following goals:

To enhance the academic quality and competitiveness of the University.
To improve teaching and learning.
To strengthen scholarly research and creative achievement.
To support and sustain student development and quality of life.
To broaden global perspectives.
To advance the University through select, strategic alliances.

The University of Mississippi Creed

The University of Mississippi is a community of learning dedicated to nurturing excellence in intellectual inquiry and personal character in an open and diverse environment. 

Mission Statement of Bob Jones

Within the cultural and academic soil of liberal arts education, Bob Jones University exists to grow Christlike character that is Scripturally disciplined; others-serving; God-loving; Christ-proclaiming; and focused Above.

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 08:00:46 PM »
Take heart, I was also denied.  I wanted to be there for personal reasons, not any overriding faith in their program.  It is a young program that has benefited greatly from its location.  The University itself has only been there since the 1960s, and is largely a commuter school.  NOVA (Northern Virginia) is extremely expensive and very crowded, so don't feel too upset.  You still have options.  Just wait and see!

VinnyMyCousin

• Say you'll do the job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 11:56:32 PM »
I'm not saying that they're the same thing--just that they are what is traditionally conceived as "conservative"...oh yea...and mission statements are kinda like campaign slogans...I wouldn't take them all that seriously.

htrus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 08:22:13 AM »
I agree that you need to take them with a grain of salt, but I do think they can give you a high level insight to how an institution views its place in the academic world, or at least what they want it to be.

VinnyMyCousin

• Say you'll do the job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 10:19:59 AM »
Perhaps Bob Jones was a bad example b/c its emphasis on Christianity is much greater than SMU--at least from what I know of SMU and I will admit I haven't done much research--and obviously greater than U. Miss (a public university), but I guess my point was that the brands of conservativism found at all three schools probably has more representation in the modern Republican party than the more libertarian-leaning brand of conservativism found at GMU. No doubt they are related. But "conservativsm" today is often associated with an authoritarian guarding of order and "traditional values", whereas GMU's dominant political culture is more anti-authoritarian. Of course, there is some overlap to some degree and there are still small-govt. conservatives in the GOP, despite the fact that they clearly aren't the ones directing national policy. Also, I know for a fact that there are more than a handful of profs. at GMU that identify with Bush's active government brand of "conservativism", but again, I don't think this is the dominant political school of thought at George Mason Univ.