Law School Discussion

A BLACK WOMAN Wrote the Matix and Terminator Movies...

mxpocc

Re: A BLACK WOMAN Wrote the Matix and Terminator Movies...
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2005, 05:31:06 PM »
I don't buy it.  I've seen this story before on many nonreputable forums, but  I can't find it anywhere on any news site.  The original post attempts to explain this:

"The reason you have not seen any of this in the media is because Warner Brothers parent company is AOL-TimeWarner... this GIANT owns 95 percent of the media... let me give you a clue as to what they own in the media business... New York Times papers/magazines, LA Times papers/ magazines, People Magazine, CNN news, Extra, Celebrity Justice, Entertainment Tonight, HBO, New Line Cinema, Dreamworks, Newsweek, Village Roadshow...

but much of that statement is false.   NYtimes is independently owned by the New York Times Corporation.  NewsWeek is owned by Washington Post Company.    Not to even mention the entire News Corp Co., who owns Fox News channel, who I'm sure would love to take Warner Bros to task for this.  For completeness, here's a complete list of companies under the Time Warner umbrella, compiled by the columbia Journalism Review.

Burning, you cite a case here; I want to believe the text, but can you provide a link of where you got your text from?   The closest I can dig up is this:  http://www.cacd.uscourts.gov/__8825681c00809c4d.nsf/0/f48d924b0f93966d88256f17006b3493?OpenDocument
But it mentions no details of a case or the outcome.  This could just be any lady suing the Brothers.

Also the story mentions the Terminator movies from out of nowhere.  The Wachowski brothers had nothing to do with these movies.   The movies were based on sci fi writer Harlan Ellison's screenplays.

So, for a number of inconsistences, and a lack of primary sources backing it up, I believe this story is false.

It's not a story its a court case.  If you have access to lexis nexis, you can look it up for yourself.  The relevant citations are: 2004 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 26606, 2004 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 26607, & 2004 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 266068

Here are the highlights (as I see them):

Sophia Stewart submitted her treatment and manuscript to Twentieth Century Fox in 1981.  The first Terminator was released in 1984.  In 1986, Stewart submitted her treatment and manuscript directly to the Wachowski Brothers and received no response.  In 1999, Stewart learned of the comic book series and film "The Matrix" produced by the Wachowski's and filed a copyright infringement claim with the FBI.  She did not actually file for recovery of damages for the alleged copyright infringement of Matrix and Terminator(s) until 2003.  Fox attempted to dismiss the allegations related to the Terminator citing the statute of limitations.  Denied.

The reasoning behind why the case has gotten little media attention may be speculation, but the facts are the facts.

let's get down to something far more important than this Matrix copyright issue--the girl who's in lexington's avatar is gorgeous.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2005, 05:33:47 PM »

Here are the highlights (as I see them):

Sophia Stewart submitted her treatment and manuscript to Twentieth Century Fox in 1981.  The first Terminator was released in 1984.  In 1986, Stewart submitted her treatment and manuscript directly to the Wachowski Brothers and received no response.  In 1999, Stewart learned of the comic book series and film "The Matrix" produced by the Wachowski's and filed a copyright infringement claim with the FBI.  She did not actually file for recovery of damages for the alleged copyright infringement of Matrix and Terminator(s) until 2003.  Fox attempted to dismiss the allegations related to the Terminator citing the statute of limitations.  Denied.

The reasoning behind why the case has gotten little media attention may be speculation, but the facts are the facts.

This is a good rendition of a legal brief of the facts from this case.  Good eye.  You are going to do well in law school.

I'm also impressed that a Pre-Law has access to LexisNexis.com.  Girl whatchu know about that??  Somebody's been givin up our secrets.

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2005, 06:03:43 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the reasonable responses!  I don't know why I didn't try looking it up in LexisNexis myself in the first place. 

anyway, I just checked LexisNexis (my undergrad university has campus-wide LexisNexis access)  and you're right, such a case does indeed exist.  I rescind my accusation that the story was false.

I guess I was extremely skeptical because of the errors in the initial "story" and because I have seen emails claiming that Stewart had won a verdict with  $2.8 billion dollars in damages.

Thanks for backing up your posts.  I'll slip quietly away now.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2005, 06:30:13 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the reasonable responses!  I don't know why I didn't try looking it up in LexisNexis myself in the first place. 

anyway, I just checked LexisNexis (my undergrad university has campus-wide LexisNexis access)  and you're right, such a case does indeed exist.  I rescind my accusation that the story was false.

I guess I was extremely skeptical because of the errors in the initial "story" and because I have seen emails claiming that Stewart had won a verdict with  $2.8 billion dollars in damages.

Thanks for backing up your posts.  I'll slip quietly away now.

Its all good Engineer.

You have a drive to find out the REAL story.  That's a sign of a good law student.

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2005, 10:04:07 AM »
This is a good rendition of a legal brief of the facts from this case.  Good eye.  You are going to do well in law school.

I'm also impressed that a Pre-Law has access to LexisNexis.com.  Girl whatchu know about that??  Somebody's been givin up our secrets.

Thanks Sands... Lexis Nexis is the best!  Can't wait for LRW so I can learn how to use it properly  ;D

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2005, 10:21:56 AM »
Slow down, girl.  You don't wanna see LRW no time soon.

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2005, 10:25:16 AM »
Slow down, girl.

What is something I would never say to Lexington?  :-*

Oh boy... she's going to be mad at me for this one...  ;)

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2005, 11:07:54 AM »
Slow down, girl.  You don't wanna see LRW no time soon.

Fine, kill my enthusiasm!  :-\ ;D

RBG- LOL

Regal_Muse

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2005, 11:20:32 AM »
Yeah we'll see how enthusiastic you are this time next year LOL.

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2005, 11:31:26 AM »
I'm sure I'll be equally enthusiastic... Probably drop dead tired, but still exicted bout the law!

Sounds so very nerdy... LOL