Law School Discussion

LOW LSAT Score

Ivy_Hopeful

• Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • View Profile
Re: LOW LSAT Score
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2004, 02:29:08 PM »
Regardless of judgements made by others and 4th tier schools.Gotolaw school no matter where you go and work your ass off then sellyourself to your employer and become a successful attorney,I wish you all the best onlylove, you know what you want and rank will not fluster your dreams... I may be an Ivy hopeful but I will be a lawyer no matter what any admissions says 1st through 4th tier... You see someof us have dreamed of going into law (trial etc...)and some have made it a fall back profession (ie.people just graduated now they wantto be lawyers when a year prior they hadn't a clue)

onlylove916

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2004, 02:39:40 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement!!  I am really excited and a bit nervous too... but mostly excited.  Good luck to you as well!

angelofmusic27

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2004, 01:48:35 PM »
I also have a low LSAT score with an abysmal 139, but I have a very nice UPGA with a 3.5 and will be graduating in May cum laude.  I also am involved in my department's honors program and will probably receive that honor that as well.  On top of that, I work full-time at a downtown Cleveland law firm and have over six and a half years legal experience.  My boss even wrote a letter of recommendation, and the head of the department of history sent an extra one as well on top of the other two I sent to the school.   
I know I'm probably foolish, but I only applied to Cleveland Marshall.  I was going back and forth with that as well because of my LSAT score, but I had encouragement from some people so I did it.  That was a decision I kind of regret because I KNOW I could have done better on my LSAT.  I just had a lot of pre-trial work to do during the month before the test and did not have time to really study.  On top of that as I stated earlier, I was going to school full-time as well.  I did not mention that in my personal law statement.  Instead, I chose to focus on my good qualities.  I just felt that it would sound like I was whining, and I wanted them to be impressed by my other achievements.       
Has anyone else applied to Cleveland Marshall for their LCOP program?  I just am so tired of the waiting and being patient.  I called last week and was told that the committee hadnít met to review my application yet.  Is that cause for alarm or do they always wait so long?  Oh, and I forgot to add that all of my application materials didnít trickle in until middle of March, so Iím wondering if thatís a part of it.  I just want to know either way.  This is really messing with me in a major way. :(

CJLaw

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2004, 05:56:11 AM »
I would not recommend going to a 4th tier school. As mentioned before 4th tier students are at the bottom of the job food chain, but they pay the same amount of tuition.  Study hard for the LSAT and apply next year.  The LSAT is mostly a skills based test.  Skills can be developed.  Studying for the LSAT should include a prep course(do your homework they are very different in every area).  I went to Powerscore and that it was excellent.  My instructor was UCLA law graduate and very helpful.  My score increased from 153 to 167.  there were others that went from 130's to high 150's. the avg. jump in my class of 12 from what people told me was approx. 11-13 points.  that is significant.

In addition to the class and the extensive homework that was given out.  I took 20 Lsat's on my own.  In total I took about 30 Lsat's.  It helped.  I could tell +/- 3 points (raw score not lsat score) how I did on the last 10 tests or so.  The only reason I say this if you go to take the lsat again and bomb it b/c of a bad day you will know to cancel your score.

This is bull. The only people who view fourth tiers as the "bottom of the food chain" and not worth attending are pre-laws and huge firms in large metropolitan areas. If you want to have a private practice of your own, work in a smaller firm, or go public interest, you will have many of the same opportunities that a Yale grad will (you'll just start at a significantly lower salary). After the admissions process, its all about class rank, job market in the area, and networking skills.

onlylove, don't let some of these elitist pre-laws scare you off from accepting a seat at a fourth tier. These type of guys have aspirations so low its sickening. Their biggest dream is to be junior assistant associate in charge of copying and filing at Big Law, PC in Manhattan, making 180,000/year out of school. There will be plenty of good paying, satisfying jobs left for us bottom feeders. ;)

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2004, 06:28:56 PM »
LTB is D'er than D. I borrowed a bit less than $100,000 for my first house in 1994. My ARM never went lower than 6.5%. My availible loans for t4 school will be (alas!) much less than $100,000 which is just too bad, because the rate is about 2.8% and tied to LIBOR with NO points. Inflation is running a weak 3% more or less. Unlike my house, they cannot repo my education. I intend to pay back every penny mind you. I currently make way less than $40,000. I would be a fool not to take advantage of the cheapest money I will ever legally get my grubby paws on in this life, especially as I will be leaving a job I do not like for a field where I will eventually be compensated for habits like reading books by the thousands. T4 is where I got in. So what? The rest is mostly up to me. I don't want to hold it against t1'ers I meet in the future, but a few more like Passing Gas Louder Than Bombs will incline me toward prejudice.

Bruner

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2004, 12:20:18 PM »
I will graduate with a 3.84, magna cum laude, but i got a miserable 153.  I have great LOR's and my PS will be good.  My numbers put me in like the 48% to get in Univ. of Oklahoma.  What can I do to increase my chances?  Anyone? Thanks.  (Pissed and bitter about LSAT in OK.)

jd4me

• gpa 3.49/lsat Oct
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2004, 12:44:07 PM »
Bruner,

Is a 153 below your average?  By your posting tone, it's not indicative of your usual score so just retake the LSAT in Oct... and do well.

Bruner

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2004, 12:51:15 PM »
jd,
      thanks for posting.  my avg. was 162-163.  I completely panicked during the middle of the test.  major test anxiety. i just really don't want to go through the process again.  i might retake or just roll the dice.  i know i can get into tulsa or ocu but they are tier 4 schools not that it really matters.  My sister just graduated from OU law 2 years ago, so i might just cross my fingers and pray.

shadowcreeper

• LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2004, 02:09:38 PM »
I did not do what I was averaging on practice tests on the real deal either, but I answered the same number of questions right that normally got me a 156ish, so I was a little pissed and really confused with my turn out as well.

I do not want to go through the LSAT again, I have already taken it 3 times (the first time on a whim..bad idea wish I studied for it then...scored a 149, the second time I had illness in the family but I did not cancel the scores...bad idea god only knows I should have canceled...I scored a 144...and this time I put in ALOT of study time, on practice tests I was up to about a 156/158...on the real deal I got a 150. What throws me for a loop was that I did not preform any worse than I did on my practice test, the LSAC just had this one graded much differently than the practice test, in respect to number of questions right and the number score. I mean I knew that there would be differences, just not a jump like that.

Amyway, things just do not always pan out as we want them to. I contemplated not applying to schools at all, but that just upset me even more. It is a shame that so much rides on a test, but at some point, you just have to sit back and decide that if you really want to be a lawyer sometimes you have to get where you want to be by going through a back or side door. I might not get into Seton Hall or Villa Nova, in fact...I probably will not get into them, but that doesnt mean I can not go to T3 school and transfer out in a year after I get my GPA.

I graduated in 2003 with a double major in art with a concentration in graphic design and in communications with a concentration in Public Relations with a 3.4 , I am 3/4 of the way done with my masters a 4.0 at the moment, I have been working full time as a marketing manager since I graduated. I think I have a great PS and my LOR should be pretty good.

I have no doubt in my mind that once in a school I can do well enough to be at the top of my class and make law review, unfortunately...I just hit a wall with the LSAT and I have to be a little more innovative to get me where I want to be. Who knows, maybe applying to a ton of places and hoping for the best will not pan out for me, but if I never tried I would always regret it.

Sorry to ramble and rant, I wish you all the best!

jd4me

• gpa 3.49/lsat Oct
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2004, 10:24:12 PM »
Bruner,

Don't give up hope. According to the ABA Official Guide for the 2003-4 applicants, 12 out of 26 students were admitted to OU with your numbers.  If you don't want to retake those are still pretty good odds.