Law School Discussion

URM status?

amita

URM status?
« on: February 06, 2005, 07:20:14 PM »
Hi all,

I will be applying to law schools and wanted to know if I count as a URM in law school standards. I am a Indian female. I went to Johns Hopkins for my undergraduate and did sub-par (2.7 GPA- I was young and irresponsible), worked 2 years in D.C. for the government, and for a prestigious international development organization. Now I am in my last year at Woodrow Wilson School for Public and International Affairs at Princeton University, finishing with a 3.7 GPA and studying international economic policy. I got a 172 on my first LSAT and anticipate I will try to take it a second time (because I score higher, 2-4 points higher on my practice exams). I am most likely going to accept a job offering in London doing investment banking for the next year - some additional experience I will be able to add to my PS.

Because of my poor UGPA, I wanted to know if I am under URM status, or is that a reach, since I am South Asian and we are one of the most represented minorities in higher academia.

Thanks for the responses!  :D
Amita

Re: URM status?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 07:33:31 PM »
You're not a URM- but you might be able to add to the diversity of some schools.
This is just my opinion but you should be careful of taking the LSAT again- most people do a few points lower than what they are practicing, you could actually score lower and then that will only hurt you. You should do a search on LSN with your numbers- there is one guy named reindeer something with similar numbers and he has been able to get into some good schools (lower 1st tier)- Good Luck

the REAL desi

Re: URM status?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 08:00:34 PM »
Amita - no URM status for you.

sorry

(i'm desi too, so i know this one)