Law School Discussion

FAFSA

Bruner

• View Profile
FAFSA
« on: January 17, 2005, 11:46:06 AM »
When do we need to begin getting the FAFSA ready for law school.  I assumed we had a little time, but I am reading threads of people already turning it in.  Anyone know when we're supposed to have the FAFSA ready?   

kevin

Re: FAFSA
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 11:54:08 AM »
I don't think you can really do anything without your 2004 tax returns.  Maybe those who have already turned theirs in are the Ned Flanders-types who complete their tax returns on New Year's Day.

brothernads

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 11:57:25 AM »
Check with the school's financial aid office, each is different. I've seen deadlines of Feb. 1st, Feb. 15th and March 1st.

You can submit your FAFSA without completing your 2004 taxes. That way you can be sure it's in before the school's deadline. But you'll have to submit a Corrected FAFSA with accurate numbers when you finish your taxes.

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 04:33:10 PM »
You can fill out the FAFSA, with estimated tax info, any time after Jan 1.
Some of us have major financial aid concerns (our decisions about where to go are going to be based in part on the financial aid offers). So we need to get the process started ASAP, to allow extra time to get our apps processed, compare offers, and make a decision before notification deadlines (generall 4/15).

Technically though, (if you don't have these concerns/anxieties) 3/1 is generally the priority filing deadline, and you will be fine if you apply by then.
And actually, for federal loans, you can wait till as late as 2006 to apply (if you're in no hurry to get your money).